Author Topic: Need to back up Ancestry  (Read 2012 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Need to back up Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
The consolation is that you aren't likely to lose your tree on Ancestry, even if something happens to your computer. You will also still be able to see it if you stop subscribing.
I'm not too sure if I am correct here - someone will perhaps enlighten me.
If you have saved/downloaded Ancestry Records to your tree - they will not be visible to you if you do not have a subscription.
Sarra
That is correct, the Ancestry Tree is free, you pay your subscription to view images. Stop paying and you no longer see any images.

Simon

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
That is correct, the Ancestry Tree is free, you pay your subscription to view images. Stop paying and you no longer see any images.

Does that include photos or images you have downloaded and saved and which you have actually attached to your tree or just links to Ancestry images? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »

Does that include photos or images you have downloaded and saved and which you have actually attached to your tree or just links to Ancestry images?
If you have downloaded them to the hard drive of your own device, then all well and good, you will still have them and view them at your leisure. Anything attached to an Ancestry Tree will no longer to available to anyone without a subscription. The advice would be to download all the images you want access to when you have the chance as you don't know when you may no longer want to pay for the privilege. The cost of a stand alone package on your PC would seem quite low compared with the cost of year on year renewal of an Ancestry subscription just to keep your tree online.

Simon

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Another reason to download images and save elsewhere is that Ancestry seem to be having problems with some of their datasets and images previously there are no longer available.  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 March 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Having read smudwhisk's reply #18 I have had a play with the free version of RootsMagic because I'd like to attach a public, ancestors-only version of my very extensive private ancestry tree to my ancestry DNA results.  But it seems that the free version or RM won't allow me to create an ancestors-only tree out of the main one, or at least not easily.  Have I missed something?

I can easily create an ancestors-only GED using my (paid for) preferred FT software but it won't have sources attached.

I'm probably asking too much for free but I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a workaround.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Having read smudwhisk's reply #18 I have had a play with the free version of RootsMagic because I'd like to attach a public, ancestors-only version of my very extensive private ancestry tree to my ancestry DNA results.  But it seems that the free version or RM won't allow me to create an ancestors-only tree out of the main one, or at least not easily.  Have I missed something?

I only used it to download a tree prior to purchasing a licence, never tested the upload facility before or after purchase.  I use Family Historian so my tree are stored in that.  I only use RM to sync a copy of a friend's private tree which I host on Ancestry for her and a couple of partial public trees which are offshoots of my own research.

The OPs question was about downloading and it was me that mentioned the sync restrictions on the free version.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day