Author Topic: Henry Hodges' 1840s baptism in Woolhope  (Read 1671 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Henry Hodges' 1840s baptism in Woolhope
« on: Sunday 04 March 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out the origins of Henry Hodges, who married Catherine Morris in Linton in 1872. Their marriage certificate, which I have, states that he was the son of Thomas Hodges. Both men were described as labourers, and Henry appears to have been 30 at the time (so b. 1842), while his bride was 23 (as she was born in 1849, I'm assuming Henry's age is also accurate).

Catherine and Henry's descendants are covered in other threads in Rootschat, but I can find nothing conclusive about his father or mother. There as a family called Hodges in Woolhope (where Henry was born, according to the census in 1881 onward) but the Henry Hodges born there (somewhere around late 1830s/early 1840s) was the son of Michael and Rebecca Hodges, and in any case he married Louisa Mailes in 1865 (they were still married in 1881).

Coincidentally (or perhaps not!) the widowed Louisa Hodges appears living in Woolhope, literally next door to my Henry Hodges and his wife Catherine. This could suggest the two Henry Hodges were perhaps cousins of some sort? I had toiled with the idea they may have been one and the same man who married bigamously, but given the difference in parentage, this seems unlikely.

Grateful to anyone who might be able to dig out anything about their family link or baptism.

Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hodges' 1840s baptism in Woolhope
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you found him on any censuses prior to the 1872 marriage - particularly the 1851 when he should be with parents?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out the Henry Michael Hodges registered in Ledbury in 1843, no maiden name on the gro. Ledbury is the reg.district for woolhope, in 1871 he is in woolhope with mother Mary as Henery Hodges.

Mike

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the same family that Mike found in 1871 -  Mary Hodges with daughter Sarah and possible son Henry in 1851  However Mary is a Housekeeper for Thomas Hill and Henry is listed as the son of Thomas with surname Hill https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGPW-NCX.   

In 1841 I think Mary is still with same family in Woolhope although her son is listed as Thos  :-\ and daughter Sarah is lodging with Joseph Gibbons and family in the village

Thomas Hill 40 Farmer
John Hill 13
Thos 10
William 7
Richard 4
Mary Hodges 30 FS
Thos Hodges 1

Kay

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I think I may be in error with the Henery hodges in the 1871, he was possibly born 1840, but the Ledbury Henry was registered 1843, so cannot be in the 1841 census as Henry hill

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly I have just spotted a Henney hodges in woolhope in the 1841 aged 8, with a Michael hodges in the same household.

There seems no logic to the Hodges households in the censuses, ages vary, etc, I get the feeling they are one extended family with the kids living wherever there was a spare bed :)

Mike

Edit, that’s no good he was born 1833, not 1843

Edit again, the household is interesting tho, because it has a Mary hodges aged 18-22,  likely the mother of the Henry Michael born Ledbury

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I was just about to get back to you RE the 1851 census. I too was starting to suspect whether Henry Hodges living with widowed mother Mary in 1871 is our man - age and place of birth seem accurate. Moreover, the fact she appears to be living with a man called Thomas Hill makes me suspect he may have been Henry's biological father - and it would explain why Henry says his father is "Thomas Hodges" (whom I can't trace in any of the censuses).

The Henry Michael Hodges could be our man (considering ages tend to be a bit off in the census and are largely unreliable). I might consider ordering the birth cert to see if the mother's name is Mary Hodges. If I'm right, then she may well be connected to Michael Hodges, the father of the other Henry Hodges I mention in my first post (who later married Louisa Mailes and ended up living next door to Henry Hodges who m. Catherine Morris).

Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Cimbrio

This may be of interest:
http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/s/l/a/Penny-A-Slade/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0912.html

It shows the family of William Garrett Hodges, who I believe may be also known as William Gallett Hodges. William had a son Thomas b. abt 1780

regards, Nick
One-name study of the Gallett family

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk