Author Topic: Morrison family Kirkudbrightshire/Dumfriesshire  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison family Kirkudbrightshire/Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your input.It’s really a great help to have the thoughts of others on this.
I’ve made a tiny bit of progress. Father Peter Daly appears to exist as Parish Priest of Granard,County Longford.
I found the Parish records free online and searched 1800-1809 with no luck.Although I did find them hard to read and may have overlooked them.
I have just posted on the Irish site in the hope of pointers or help that might locate this pair.
I only discovered I had Scottish ancestry a couple of weeks ago and now I might have Irish too in this line.
These people are my great grandparents x4 and I would love to solve this puzzle.
Thanks again for your help.Any more ideas would be appreciated!!

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add that I’ve found John in the 1851 census but no luck yet for James or for John in 1841.
I’ve looked at Ayrshire also with no luck yet.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Is your John living in Colvend in 1851?

I note in 1841 there is at  Glenstocken, Colvend

John Morrison 25 ag lab
Mary Morrison 10 mo.
Ann Morrison 25

1851 census would suggest that there ought to be a son James in the above as well but I then noticed the following 1841 census in New Abbey(from Freecen)

Address Burnfoot
Martha Strathon 75 pauper b Ireland
Mary Morrison 28 straw hat maker b Kirkcudbrightshire
James Mossey  9 b Kirkcudbrightshire
James Morrison 3 b Kirkcudbrighshire

Might this Martha be John's mother?

Censuses suggest John is in Colvend in 1861 and 1871 although age varies in transcriptions. Possible death 1880 in Colvend age 68 - if correct hopefully death cert.would confirm parents names.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add that I’ve found John in the 1851 census but no luck yet for James or for John in 1841.
I’ve looked at Ayrshire also with no luck yet.

Could you give details of the 1851 that you've found so that we know which John is the one you're interested in.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, the Colvend John is my great grandfather x 3 and I have just found him there with his wife Ann in the 1841 census. Age is a little out but names all match.
I'd looked at the James from Kirkbean and re-looked at where Kirkbean is.It is not far from New Abbey where John was born but in the 1851 census gives birthplace as Urr. Also on James' baptism gives the family living at Glenson. I can find a Glenson cottage about  9 miles from Kirkbean.A place called Haugh of Urr is also about 9 miles from Glenson cottage.
mmmm. Still unsure on this one

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Not sure on Martha Strathon being John or James' mother. Why would she use her maiden name?
But as it is a Martha with some Morrisons in the right area, it may be worth looking into??
This is driving me slightly nuts!

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Death cert for John Morrison 1880,Colvend has the following details

John Morrison (married to Ann Richardson) died 5 Aug 1880 Parents James Morrison Agricultural Labourer (deceased) and Martha Morrison m/s Strachan (deceased).

You would need to look at the original of the 1841 census to see if Strathon could be a poor transcription of Strachan.

To answer your question re. use of maiden name this is very commonly seen on Scottish censuses after wives have become widowed. I also think it worth  considering that James and Martha never married. I repeat my point that the wording on the two Kirkconnel baptisms is to say the least unusual.  James it can be inferred was RC and Martha was a protestant.I note that John was married in the Church of Scotland and his children were baptised there.

Ann Morrison (Richardson) appears to have died 1900 - her death cert.should give the names of her parents.  Death certs. can be downloaded from Scotland's People(credits only site).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for some great help and suggestions. Here's the latest update:

1841 Census Burnfoot New Abbey    Martha Strathon 75

1851 Census Burnfoot New Abbey    Martha Morrison 85

Death 1857   Burnfoot New Abbey Martha Morrison 95 Fathers name Alexander Straten

Clearly the same person. Marked as widow on the above.

John's 1880 death as already stated(thanks William) parents James Morrison and Martha Strachan

So we have the surnames Stranach, Strandford, Strathon,Strachen, Straten and of course Morrison. Stranach and Strachen are 2 names definately connected to John.

Ann Morrison death of 1900 is correct wife of John.

Any more thoughts on how to prove Martha Straten(?) is John's mother?

Thanks all again. No way would I have got this far without your help!

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census has grandson William Morrison with Martha. I note the informant on Martha's death cert is her daughter Mary Morrison.

William would appear to be the illegitimate son of Mary Morrison born 27 March 1842 ,New Abbey. He married Margaret Coltart 7 Aug 1868 in New Abbey.

Mary Morrison is in 1851 showing as a dairymaid in Closeburn,Dumfriesshire. In 1861 she is at Gateside, New Abbey, a labourer. In 1871 the only Mary Morrison in New Abbey is an agricultural labourer age 64 born Ireland. In spite of the disparity in age and pob I do think that this is the same Mary.

Death 1880 New Abbey

Mary Morrison pauper outdoor worker, single ,died 4 July 1880 age 75. Parents James Morrison agricultural labourer (deceased) and Martha Morrison m/s Strachan (deceased).Informant Margaret Morrison Daughter in Law present.

My conclusion from all this would be that(in all probability!) the Martha in the 1841 and 1851 censuses was Johns's mother.

William