Author Topic: Opinion please - Penkhurst/Pankhurst/Penckhurst, etc.  (Read 571 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Opinion please - Penkhurst/Pankhurst/Penckhurst, etc.
« on: Monday 05 March 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
There seem to be a lot of different spellings of this name but I've just discovered someone else's profile where there might be a mix-up of families (i.e. they've added Martha P (Hart) to the wrong family).

I will attach the marriage of my Martha Hart to Thomas P, and the daughter they produced in the same year, and a son later - spelt slightly differently in the transcripts.

The marriage has been spelt Penkherst, and the first baptism Penkhurst. They're both on the same page here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D513-31Z?i=379&cat=217230

Then, Thomas Penckherst born of Martha and Thomas in 1749: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D513-3RT?i=383&cat=217230

Would you agree with the transcriptions?

(In the same register (Mayfield PR https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/217230?availability=Family%20History%20Library), the index shows:
Thomas Penckhurst buried 1620, baptism (father Francis) same spelling 10 Sep 1626.
Thomas Pankhurst burial 04 Mar1797 (no parents shown).
Thomas Pankhurst baptism 05 Feb 1797 parents John and Elizabeth.
Haven't checked these yet in the register, but I'm not sure they'd tell me anything new anyway.)

And a bit annoying because Martha Hart is only peripheral to my tree, but because someone else has put Martha Hart marrying what looks like a different Thomas (Pankhurst and birthplace in Kent), I have to try to sort it out...  :-\

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion please - Penkhurst/Pankhurst/Penckhurst, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Could it just be someone different hearing the word differently . . . Or applying their own version of the spelling?

Varieties of spelling do occur quite often don't they.      ;)

Does get tricky when there are multiple families with the same name in a close area though doesn't it.   ::) ::)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Wiggy - yes, and I expect local pronunciation differed too.

I'm going to have to leave this for now and come back to this when I next have time and energy in the next day or two. I can see several trees on Ancestry which seem to have conflicting characters in them too. None of the records in the sources create an obvious logical series of connections and I prefer to stick to verified facts and use the spellings as per PRs, etc. wherever possible (or at least go with whatever is consistent within the local area and time). It seems to me that Martha, Thomas and their two children in Mayfield used "Pen(c)k..." as the first syllable, at least. The other variations I can add as aliases.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I think it' a Wiggy says - same people just different clerks/vicars hearing the name differently and/or spelling it differently.

I have one surname that was spelled differently for about 50 years in one parish. It seemed to settle down to the same  spelling  in the early 1800s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget. I'm sure that you're both right.

When I get back to it my first task will be to ensure that the two families are untangled, then attend to the spelling of my profiles. With copious notes on both of the trees involved, so that incorrect assumptions are not made again in the future!