Author Topic: WW1 - Folkstone Harbour Station Canteen - Visitors' Book Query  (Read 401 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 - Folkstone Harbour Station Canteen - Visitors' Book Query
« on: Monday 05 March 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I am reading a new book at the moment called 'Ordinary Heroes - The story of civilian volunteers in the first World War' by Sally White.  This is a most interesting read.

On page 177 the 'Folkstone Harbour Station Canteen' is mentioned as one of the busiest places in that area at that time due to the 'millions of service men and thousands of nurse's who passed through'.  Apparently, it is estimated, according to this book, that 42,000 men took the time to write in the eight volumes of Visitors' books.

What I would like to know is did these volumes survive and if so, where are these now kept?

Thank you in advance of any responses.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 - Folkstone Harbour Station Canteen - Visitors' Book Query
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting question. I've found an article about the canteen here:

http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/FOLKESTONE%20HARBOUR%20STATION.pdf

This states that the books are at the East Kent Archives Centre, but since the article was written, the EKAC has closed and records have been transferred to the Kent History Centre in Maidstone. This is the catalogue entry:

https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/collections/getrecord/GB51_Fo_Z_6
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 - Folkstone Harbour Station Canteen - Visitors' Book Query
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this arthurk. I really appreciate such a quick response with the answer too.  I have ancestors including my Great Uncle John Conroy who passed through Folkstone during the Great War.  Sadly, the latter was returned to England from France and died in a War hospital on 5 February 1918. Poor John was gassed during his time out in France. :'(

Best Wishes
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner