Author Topic: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Whew. Okay. (Sorry- there are a LOT of the same forenames in my family so it can be confusing!)

I have no concrete information regarding my ggg-grandmother's family. I have SOME names written on the bottom of a copy of an old census that a cousin of my mind dug up while trying to trace our tree in the 1980s. So this is all I have thus far:

My ggg-grandmother was Jane Williams, b. 1822(+/-); she had two older siblings that I'm aware of: Catherine Williams (spinster) b.1808(+/-), John Williams b.1812(+/-) and a younger sister named Mary b.1831; All were born in or around Llangoed, Anglesey. John worked for the Coast Guard in Weymouth and died in 1888. As I stated earlier, Catherine never married and lived with my ggg-grandmother after the death of her husband/my ggg-grandfather, Maurice O'Connell. My information has placed them in Anglesey, then Carlisle (my ggg-grandfather was the superintendent of a boys reformatory there) where my ggg-grandfather died suddenly, and somehow Jane and Catherine (and Jane's dozen or so children) moved to Gateshead after Maurice's passing. I've pencilled in the name Thomas Williams and a possible Elizabeth as the names of Jane (and her siblings) parents but am not 100% on that. Any information that you have would be a great help. I know that the first 3 children of Jane Williams & Maurice O'Connell were born in Ireland but have no idea where. The remainder were born in Anglesey, with the last born in Carlisle.

Offline Achill P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams (of Llangoed/Beaumaris) help? Please?
« Reply #55 on: Monday 04 March 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
After going through all the notes and comments, I am tending towards the following scenario for the Llangoed Williams:

Parents   
Thomas Williams (1780-1866) b Llangoed and Elizabeth ? (1776-1855) b Llangthengell  . Thomas was mariner on CGC Success until 1821 then appointed as land-based boatman in CGS, serving in Jacks Hole (Wicklow), Co Cork and finally Co Mayo, superannuated in 1847, returned home to Wales with his family to appear in the 1851 and 1861 census.
Children   
        1. Margaret (ca 1804-1874) b Llangoed, married James White (1818-1874) on Achill Island in 1838 - 5 children  (Irish side of the Williams family)

2. Catherine 1 (1807-1808) b Llangoed buried with parents.

3. Cath(erine) 2 (ca 1808 - ?) b Llangoed unmarried

4. Male Williams (possibly John) b Llangoed with son David (1829-?)

5. Jane (ca 1820- ?) b Llangoed, married Maurice O Connell in Ireland

6. Mary (ca 1822-1882) b Wicklow married Edward Hughes, son Thomas W Hughes died at 12 and is buried with grandparents.

All moved to UK around the time of Thomas’s retirement.
   However, much addition research is needed to confirm all this.