Author Topic: Morrison/Strandford or Stranach Longford help  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morrison/Strandford or Stranach Longford help
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
while researching my Scottish ancestry in the RC Parish records, Kirkconell, Kirkudbrightshire I hit a brick wall. My ancestor John Morrison was baptised here in 1811 and recorded as born in New Abbey, Kirkudbrightshire to James Morrison and Martha Stranach. I could not find a single trace of this pair and then began to look in the same parish records for any other Morrisons. what I found was a baptism of James Morrison 1809.Parents James Morrison and Martha Strandford, Gibbon Hill.
Gibbon Hill and New Abbey are a few miles apart and being the only Catholic Morrisons I can find, and the names being so close, suspect these are the same people.Next comes the part where I need help.The baptism is recorded as follows:

'James son to James Morrison & Martha Strandford said to be his lawful wife & married about five years ago, in Granart Parish County of Longford by F. Peter Daily Parish Priest' sponsors etc

I have found a reference to the parish priest of Granard being Peter Daly , so presume this is the same person. The trouble is I can't find any record(as yet) of a James Morrison and Martha Strandford or Stranach. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone out there have an opinion on this being the same parents (of John and James)
2. Can anybody help with where I might find a trace of their marriage?

I've just attempted to look in the parish records from 1800 -1809 but could not see them. Although I did find it really hard going and may have overlooked them.
I found their Scottish records on the UK Find My Past site and strangely there is no record of them on the Scotlands People site.
I am totally unfamiliar with Irish records and would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison/Strandford or Stranach Longford help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Link  to other thread for background, etc:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789182.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
       my tree goes back to Longford on my mothers side (Morrison RC) have found about six of them babtised around 1835 - 1845  father Francis born abt 1811 Mayo and mother Ann Burrows born 1815 ish, I'm thinking Ann was born in Longford but don't have anything concrete. My point being that there was Catholic  Morrisons in Longford  who  I could not find after there births so might have a look in Scotland :D
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hope you can find them! I'm still struggling :-\

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile