Author Topic: Aran Island Schools in 1840s  (Read 1011 times)

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aran Island Schools in 1840s
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I know this may be a shot in the dark, however it's worth a try.

I'm trying to find any info relating to Maurice O'Connell (or Connell) and his wife, Jane Williams. He was born in Ireland in/around 1820 (no idea where), she was born on Anglesey in 1820/1821 as well. I know that they had three children while living in Ireland, and I recently found a Wales census form from 1851 relating to their daughter Jane O'Connell (b. 1848) as being born on "Aran Isle". They had two other children born in Ireland, and I would assume it would be Aran or Galway as well. They are Elizabeth L. O'Connell b.1841 and John (or Jack) O'Connell b.1843.

I do know that Maurice was a school teacher and worked as an arithmetics teacher on Anglesey in 1851 (he died in 1859 in Carlisle), and that his wife Jane was a schoolmistress in 1851 as well. I'm hoping that someone can point in the proper direction regarding how to find info about Aran, etc., as I've hit a brick wall.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aran Island Schools in 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Isle of Aran museum, they hold the archive for the social history of Aran.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sarahkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link! However I haven't a clue if they were RC or not. I know that Maurice O'Connell and Jane Williams would have been married around 1840/- 1 or 2y (their daughter Elizabeth L. O'Connell was born in 1841...) and these records don't cover the dates needed. :( Thanks so much though! Any little bit helps..