Author Topic: FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library  (Read 3708 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would just let you know of a forthcoming free event at North Shields library at 6 pm on Tuesday 15th May.  Although, the event is free booking is essential.  There are eighty places available. :). Booking has now commenced so get in quick! :)

Be aware that there will be no entry 15 minutes past advertised start time.

See attached poster for full information.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I have that exact same Be-ro recipe book in my kitchen. I learned to bake following the recipes when I was a little girl and asked my Mam if I could have it when I married 43 years ago.
My girls, in their turn, followed the recipes when they were young - I scanned it for them when they left to live on their own and my grandsons now bake using Granny's book (though they follow the recipes from an iPad).

I am too far away to attend but, if you go, you can tell them at least one of the books is still in weekly use :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have booked for myself and a friend who is also interested in all aspects of war time life.  I don't know really that far ahead if I will be off work on that evening but I thought I had better book up fast just in case, rather than risk missing out.  I could always cancel and I am sure they would have no trouble filling my place if I had to.   I am sure this event with tasters is sure to be very popular!

This is amazing that you have that exact same recipe book still and that the recipes have been used by four generations of your family.  I will certainly tell them about this if I can go.    :). Did you or do you have a favourite recipe?

I am really looking forward to sampling the chocolate and potato cake, carrot marmalade and parsnip bananas :)
I wonder how nice (or not) this war time fare might be?

I wonder if anyone out there has ever experienced a War time recipe such as the above?

Thanks for your very interesting post Boo!
I will try to attach a bigger photo of the book!

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Especially for Boo! ....

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I had that book at one time, but lost it during various moves.
And sadly also lost an old book of WW2 recipes, the only one I remember being baby turnips stewed in black treacle. Sounds disgusting but it was actually delicious!
I'd love to come to North Shields, but am too far away now.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I remember using that Be-Ro cookery book with my Mum when she was teaching me how to bake  :)

Happy Days !

There are some of these books available on a well known auction site.  :)

JJ

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi TriciaK,

Actually that recipe sounds delicious to me.  I love turnips and treacle! I have never hitherto tried them together though! :D. If I do find I can definitely go as I am hoping - I will have to tell them about that one!

Hi JJen,

I will also now have to tell them that at least two people now on RootsChat remember using that book.

It is amazing that even a time of war brought forth happy memories of life on the home front.

Last year, my friend and I went to a War time event at Beamish and had an amazing day! Seeing loads of people dressed in 40s outfits and hairstyles was a real treat, not to mention the music and getting some war time soup!

It was all great fun and we were questioned vigorously by our lack of identification by a on guard 'soldier' before he finally relented and let us pass into 'Home Farm'.  ;D

Happy Days! :D

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »

It is amazing that even a time of war brought forth happy memories of life on the home front.

Well the book is war time era, but I am a post war edition. Like the book I am a little worse for wear, but still doing  ok :-)

The recipes are more or less the same as on the current Be-ro recipe website, the Eve's pudding and Countess Pudding are still family favourites but I still use lemon essence in the Countess Pud and the modern version uses vanilla essence. You can still get the books (current edition) though they charge £2.99 for it now, even though mine does say that "should this booklet become soiled or damaged, the Manufacturers will send a fresh copy, free and post free" it also says they will be pleased to send a copy to any of my friends who would like one!
 He he maybe I should try it and see what they say, though its a long time since  Thomas Bell & Son Ltd., Be-ro Works, Newcastle upon Tyne became part of Rank Hovis and the Be-Ro brand is now owned by Premier Foods.

Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm not a great lover of cooking but I still have my Bero cook book - 1960s version, acquired when I got married.

I'll tell my compatriots at Blyth Battery about the event - some of us may want to come.  Thanks for letting us know.