Author Topic: FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library  (Read 3711 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREE Wartime Food Event with Tasters! North Shields Library
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Boo and c-side, for your posts.

We always had a Be-Ro book in our house when I was growing up.  I have only had my current one for a few years - I found  this in my local supermarket in the baking aisle.

Thank you for saying you will pass news of this event on to your compatriots at the Blyth Battery.  I forgot to mention yesterday that you don't have to be a member of the library to attend, so everyone is welcome.  Th more the merrier, as they say!  :)

Is the Blyth Battery the group that do war time events?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's us!  Our biggest event of the year is on May 19th and 20th (just after the wartime food event at the library).

The buildings that form the museum and tea room are also open every weekend during the summer.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know of this big event, c-side.  I thought I remembered seeing some information about a past event where people were in period costume and there were reanactments, etc.

I presume this will be advertised on the internet closer to the time? :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
It's on our website - blythbattery.org.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 March 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
http://blythbattery.org.uk/blyth-battery-goes-to-war-2018

Hi c-side,

This poster advert looks very promising.  I hope to come along to this event if I am able to.  Thanks for letting us know about it. :)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I'd let you know that I have booked 5 tickets for the Food Event  :D

If you do come to the Battery event and come by car can I recommend the park and ride.  The traffic wardens have been known to work that weekend especially for us and they are lethal  :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is great c-side! :)

Hopefully, if my work rota permits and I can definitely go too I will be able to meet your friends from the Blyth Battery, and perhaps you too, if you are one of the five who might be going?

I do have tickets for myself and a friend too already as I don't want to risk losing a place.

If I can also go to your war event in May I will be coming by public transport.  Hopefully, see you then. :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
The library closes at 5.30 pm but there will be someone on the door to let us all (who have booked) in before 6pm.  A lot of people have booked and this promises to be a very fun event.  :D I am looking forward to sampling the war time fare and hearing about how folks adapted to the shortages.  See you there later!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
Well, this turned out to be a great evening.  The speaker was very entertaining and it was great to hear interesting anecdotes from the audience as we went along.  I asked for and received permission from the speaker to post my photos of our food tasters on here. :)

I think I would have been alright in the war as I liked everything. and like quite a few others couldn't resist going back for seconds. ;D

Here is some of the lovely carrot jam which we sampled tonight.  Very much like marmalade :)

It was very nice with our teas and coffees.