Author Topic: Online newspapers  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Online newspapers
« on: Tuesday 06 March 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know if there are any online newspapers covering the Rhyl area back as far as 1995? Looking to find an obituary for a man who died in December 1995. Headstone at Maeshyfryd cemetery in Rhyl mentions ‘dear husband, dad and grandad’ and although i can find a probable marriage, i can’t find any likely children. Council won’t release any burial details.  Obviously too recent to mention names on here.

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Online newspapers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
The microfilm copy for the second half of 1995 Rhyl Journal is missing from Rhyl Library.However the Jan 10th 1996 edition contains an acknowledgement which may prove useful and I have e-mailed a copy to Deirdre784.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roger, great help, thanks for taking the time to visit the library for me.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
This person may have left a will which may be of use. Have a look at WWW.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Looks like he has thanks, though it’s not coming up on the index on Ancestry (where i looked!). The lady i’m trying to help - on another forum -was looking into getting a certificate or two but I haven’t heard from her since i told her about Roger’s visit to the library. I’ll let her know where she can buy it.

Thanks again,

Deirdre

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
If you look on the site I mentioned all wills are all there.  Any children/grandchildren may have been beneficiaries and then, at least, there would be some names to go on.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline BarbaraLL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The local newspaper offices usually hold copies and failing that the local library may have them on microfiche.
Frankland of Yorkshire
Doyle of Wexford, Ireland & Wirral
Galliford of Yorkshire & Devon
Shaw of Birkenhead
Evans of Macclesfield
Goodacre of Cheshire

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
If you look on the site I mentioned all wills are all there.  Any children/grandchildren may have been beneficiaries and then, at least, there would be some names to go on.

Agreed, but i’m not looking to buy the will. That’s up to her.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
The local newspaper offices usually hold copies and failing that the local library may have them on microfiche.

Sadly neither the library nor the record office has copies from late 1995.