Author Topic: Surname Interests - Ramage & Murray  (Read 20118 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Interests - Ramage & Murray
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 September 08 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

I don't think there is one on Temple, I have been to the Gorebridge Library and asked for materials on Temple, the stuff they gave me was for the whole area not just Temple itself.

With Temple being historacle there is not much on it, for instance if you look at the photo of the original school from 1688, attached to that going down towards the Mill House there were 5 cottages, there were 2 cottages just over the little bridge they were on the left, there is a cottage on the right just over the bridge, plus the Manse, these made up the original Temple Village.

When the Laird called Patrick Murray of Deuchar died Dundas of Arniston owned the big house in Temple, there is an Arch still standing in the field, photo attached, Dundas feud out the large house and people purchased the stones from it, that's when the Village we see today grew, the first house dating from 1760 onwards, I have attached one of 1761.

On the lintle there are initials J. B. or could be T. B. it states that the house was built by Alexander Temple but that's not what the initials tell us, however, in the centre of the lintle you can see the Square and Dividers, this shows the person was a Stone Mason, I will send one of a Master Stone Mason after this.

Best.

Archie.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 September 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
This picture shows the Master Stone Mason Sign, three Castles plus the Square and Dividers, his name was Andrew Cockburn.

Archie.

Offline fataussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • You may hide & run. But finding you is all the fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 September 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie
 Thank you very much for the photos & the history.
It certainly adds a bit more to the lives of our Ancestors.
 I am in a little town called Barham which is on the New South Wales & Victorian border which unfortunately about 1500km from Brisbane.
 I hope you have a very restful holiday & watch out for the crocs. :)

Cheers
Bryan
Hall - Corbett Mog Ire>Aus
Kernaghan - Fowler Lan>Aus
Donaldson Mid Sco>Aus
Ramage Mid Sco>Aus
Dalgleish Mid Sco>Aus
Walton Dur>Aus>NZ
Bullerwell - Worldwide
Wilkinson - Anderson Dur>Aus
Jenkins - Jordan Som>Aus
Kidner - Som
Jaques - Attwood - Page Cherington WAR

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 September 08 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bryan they will certainly have a lot to feed on, anyway we could do with a good break, we are flying with Emirates Airline, sop at Dubai overnight then onto Singapore for 2hrs then to Brisbane, should arrive at around six in the morning. Heading home we stop off at Singapore for three nights, then onto Dubai again for two hours then back to Glasgow and off to Edinburgh.

I have attached 2 photos of the interior of the Church.

See ya.

Archie

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 November 08 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

well here I am back in the land of the living and freezing cold, had a great time in Australia but Singapore sucks.

I was wondering if I could perhaps plant some small flowers at your kins graves, I have been onto the council kicking up hell about the state of the graveyard. so I wait and see what happens.

I was thinking of getting in touch with the local schools to see if I can get the kids to help out, such as adopting a gravestone and planting flowers at them, if they get the go ahead, I will see if the local places that sell plants will donate any or get them at a reduced price.

I feel that there is no colour about the place and a nice burst of flowers would make it a more cheery place to visit rather than being bland.

Archie.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 November 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Not my family, but lovely photos! :)

I am fascinated by the Templars and I take photos of any Templar site that I can find.
Unfortunately, though I love that country, I haven't been to Scotland for ages ~ and I hadn't developed my Templar interest back then. :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline fataussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • You may hide & run. But finding you is all the fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 November 08 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie
 I am glad you had a good time here in OZ & you didn't get eaten by one of those Queensland sharks or crocs.  :D
 I would be most happy if you could plant some flowers as the chance of us getting ever getting a chance to visit is very remote unless our Lotto numbers come up.
 The idea of involving the local Schools is a great idea & I hope the Local Council comes on board as well.

Thanks again for all your help & let us know how the project
goes.

Cheers
 Bryan
Hall - Corbett Mog Ire>Aus
Kernaghan - Fowler Lan>Aus
Donaldson Mid Sco>Aus
Ramage Mid Sco>Aus
Dalgleish Mid Sco>Aus
Walton Dur>Aus>NZ
Bullerwell - Worldwide
Wilkinson - Anderson Dur>Aus
Jenkins - Jordan Som>Aus
Kidner - Som
Jaques - Attwood - Page Cherington WAR

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 November 08 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

I will go ahead with the plan, thanks for your consent.

I had a near miss with a Brown snake one day, it was at my feet and I never felt it, my cousin spotted it and told me to stay still, I knew right away something was up, he then told me to walk slowly towards him, held out his hand an yanked me towards him, and this was in a built up area. I saw another two snakes, one Red Belly and another Brown, boy can that Brown snake take off, as fast as lightening.

Best.

Archie.

Offline Sheila G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
I've just come across this post while looking for info on John Anderson Ramage. Richard Ramage and his 2nd wife Jean Anderson were my 4x Gr Grandparents. I also have the photo of Mary Murray's headstone (attached). I do have a family tree which was done by a gr gr aunt some years ago, so not sure just how accurate it is!

Sheila