Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon  (Read 6922 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone here can help me with a puzzle regarding my ancestor Thomas Wayt who lived in Eastcott, Swindon. Thomas wrote his Will in 1721 and in it he mentions his wife Mary and also refers to his wife's 'late mother' and states that she [Mary's mother] left a Will. Unfortunately I don't know what Mary's maiden name was as I haven't been able to find a marriage for Thomas and Mary, and without this name I am having problems finding the Will of Mary's mother.

Thomas was christened in January 1651 so I suspect that they were probably married between 1669 and 1680 (I know that their son Richard was christened in 1681).

Thomas had six children, Mary, Thomas, Richard, Sibbell, Anne, and Sarah. Sarah is apparently named in the Will of Mary's mother.

The only marriage I can find for a Thomas Wayt to a Mary is as follows:

Thomas Wait and Marie Pirs - 22 Oct 1694 Trowbridge (St James).

This is after the christening of Thomas's daughter Sarah who was christened in Swindon on 3 July 1694. Unfortunately the christening only records her father's name (Thomas) and this is the same for the christenings of Anne (Feb 1691), Sibbell (Oct 1689), and Richard (1681). So far I haven't found the christenings of Mary (who I suspect may be an older child), and Thomas (possibly an oldest son).

There is a Mary Wait christened in Rowde in Sept 1687 to Thomas and Anne Wait and there is a gap between the christenings of Richard (1681) and Sibbell (1689) where this could fit. There is also a christening in that parish for Thomas Wait in Sept 1689 although that makes no sense if Thomas had a daughter named Sibbell christened in Swindon in Oct 1689 [Thomas's mother was named Sibyl so it makes sense that one of his daughters had this name]. Rowde and Swindon seem to far apart for these people to be the same family. Also the Thomas and Anne in Rowde seem to have been having children christened these right up to about 1700.

If anyone is able to help me track down the marriage of Thomas and Mary it might help me establish

[1] who her mother was

[2] confirm that she was the mother of Thomas's children.

Thanks

Matt

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I have found a couple of things that might help in your search. There is information on Thomas Wayt b. 1/1650 Wiltshire, married 19/6/1679 to Mary Baker at Stratton St Margaret church, Wilts. Died 1/1721-buried 28/1/1721 at Christchurch with St Mary church, Wilts. His father was Nicholas Wayt, mother Sibyl Hayward.
The other info. I found was possibly for his son, (1) Wayte, Richard, yeoman, of Eastcott,par Swindon, son of Thos Wayte, decsd (2) This is how it is written on The National Archives site however it states that the record is not held there, but is held at Wilts and Swindon History Centre. Not sure what info. is on the record, but might be worth checking out.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I have found a couple of things that might help in your search. There is information on Thomas Wayt b. 1/1650 Wiltshire, married 19/6/1679 to Mary Baker at Stratton St Margaret church, Wilts. Died 1/1721-buried 28/1/1721 at Christchurch with St Mary church, Wilts. His father was Nicholas Wayt, mother Sibyl Hayward.
The other info. I found was possibly for his son, (1) Wayte, Richard, yeoman, of Eastcott,par Swindon, son of Thos Wayte, decsd (2) This is how it is written on The National Archives site however it states that the record is not held there, but is held at Wilts and Swindon History Centre. Not sure what info. is on the record, but might be worth checking out.
regards.

Hi

Thanks for that info. This all seems to fit with what I've got already. I have a copy of Sibbell Wayt's Will but unfortunately that doesn't tell me much apart from the fact that she had a daughter named Grace Little and a son named Thomas. She mentions her grandchildren but not by name.

How far are Stratton and Christchurch from Swindon?

I'll definitely be following these up as it certainly looks to be the right people.

Thanks again

Matt

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
The centre of Swindon old town, which is all there was in 1721 is about 3 miles, maybe less from Stratton St, Margaret parish church
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
The centre of Swindon old town, which is all there was in 1721 is about 3 miles, maybe less from Stratton St, Margaret parish church

Thanks for that. I'm following up these leads now.

The burial date you mentioned can't be for the right Thomas as I have his Will and this is dated 16 May 1721. Also the Will was proved on 12 July 1736 so I think it's more likely Thomas died in the 1730s. If he did die in 1721 why did it take so long to get the Will proved?

I'm trying to establish when/where Mary Baker and Sibyl Hayward might have been born.

There is a Mary Baker christened in Broad Hinton in Aug 1648 and another Mary christened in Warminster in Feb 1661. I'm not sure if either of these are relevent but they are the only ones I have found so far.

As for Sybil Hayward, the only one I have found that looks like a possibility date wise is this:

Sibbell Hayward christened 1 Dec 1633 Melksham, Wiltshire - again I'm not sure how far that is from the Swindon area.

Anyhow this does give me a few more names and lines of enquiry to check out.

Thanks again

Matt

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
About 20 miles as the crow flies, maybe 25-30 by road
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
About 20 miles as the crow flies, maybe 25-30 by road

Thanks for that. Probably a little too far away but I'll keep them in mind.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
regards.

Do you know when/where Nicholas Wayt and Sibyl Hayward married? Where did you find her name btw?

Matt

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,

I've just looked at the Stratton St.Margaret's transcripts on the Wilts-opc website and the marriage 19-6-1679 is for a Thomas Wright to Mary Baker.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk