Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon  (Read 6924 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Wayt of Swindon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Matt, I think the info paco found came from here
http://www.skliar-ward.com/family/humo_/F4683/I7329/

Has Mary Baker born 16 Feb 1657/8 at Stratton St Margaret (Bater on ancestry)
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at the Stratton St.Margaret's transcripts on the Wilts-opc website and the marriage 19-6-1679 is for a Thomas Wright to Mary Baker.

Looking at both the parish register and the BT on ancestry, I think it says Weight
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
The will of the father is certainly findable on ancestry
Richard Baker of Eastcott in the parish of Swindon

Written 1685?
Names daughter Mary, wife of Thomas Waight
and grandchildren Mary Waight, Margarett Waight, Richard Waight.
Executors wife Mary Baker, son in law Thomas Waight

John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,

I've just looked at the Stratton St.Margaret's transcripts on the Wilts-opc website and the marriage 19-6-1679 is for a Thomas Wright to Mary Baker.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Alan

Hi Alan

I spotted that too but suspect it could be a typo. I've seen the name spelt Wayt, Wayte, Wait, Waite, and a few other ways.

I can't be sure this is the right marriage yet but it's still one to investigate.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »

Looking at both the parish register and the BT on ancestry, I think it says Weight
John

Hi John

Thanks for checking those registers and for the website link you sent. Weight would seem a closer variation of Wayt/Wait.

The fact that Mary Baker was apparently christened in Stratton St Margaret in 1657/58 fits as well given the fact that Thomas and Mary married in that parish.

I've looked at the website you sent the link for and I think this will be useful as it lists lots of sources. I've already go a copy of Thomas Wayt's Will, but I've not got Richard Baker's Will. Oddly I have just been at the library looking on Ancestry for possible Baker wills - unfortunately the search brought up a lot of results so I didn't get a chance to look at them all. I'll check this one next time I'm there.

This all seems to establish Mary's line but I'm still puzzled over Nicholas Wayt and Sybil Hayward (parents of Thomas Wayt). Thomas was born in 1650 so I am inclined to think that Nicholas and Sybil were born in the 1620s or 1630s.

Anyhow back to the notes later.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 March 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
The will of the father is certainly findable on ancestry
Richard Baker of Eastcott in the parish of Swindon

Written 1685?
Names daughter Mary, wife of Thomas Waight
and grandchildren Mary Waight, Margarett Waight, Richard Waight.
Executors wife Mary Baker, son in law Thomas Waight

John

Hi John

Thanks for letting me know about Richard's Will, I've just downloaded it from Ancestry. I've spotted that he also appears to mention an uncle and some brothers and nephews and nieces, as well as his wife, children and grandchildren, so these will be lines to follow up.

I haven't been able to find a Will for his widow, Mary Baker, though. I know from the Will of Thomas Wayt that Mary left a Will as he mentions it in his Will of 1721.

I couldn't find a Will for a Mary Baker between 1685 and 1721 in the Swindon area today. Do you think she might have remarried?

Matt

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
It's a puzzle. She could have remarried, I'm struggling to find an obvious one.
They don't seem to have the burial of Richard Baker on there (indexed anyway). He's in the Wiltshire Memorial Inscription Index, Stratton St Margaret, with a date of 18 Sep 1686 given (presumably his date of death). No mention of Mary.
If she didn't remarry, a burial of a Mary Baker in Swindon, 24 April 1707
And one in Stratton, 9 October 1708. Some other ladies there are described just as "widow", not her though.

I'd have thought Sarah would have got her money well before Thomas made his will in 1721, even if she had to be 21 or something like that. Unless Mary was only recently dead, she'd have had to be 85 plus though?
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
They have Wiltshire Wills and Probate Index 1530-1881 on findmypast. That hasn't found the will either (if Mary stayed as Baker)
The index on the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre website has sadly been removed.

I think we can only see the original wills online. It would be good to have the Probate Act books, in case any original wills have been lost.
Also looked PCC and not promising either.
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 March 18 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've had a read through of Richard Baker's Will and it looks like he names the following people -

His daughter Mary [described as "the wife of Thomas Weight"]
His granddaughter Mary Waight
His granddaughter Margaret Waight
His grandson Richard Waight
His uncle Edward [I'm not sure of the surname]
His brother Lemuel Baker
His brother Francis Baker
Mary Baker and Thomas Baker - the children of his brother Francis Baker
His kinswoman Ann Baker [or Booker]
John Baker, Martha Baker, Mary Baker, and Ann Baker - the children of his brother Lemuel Baker.
His wife Mary.

I've found three children for Lemuel [who is also transcribed as Samuel on one entry]

John - chr 25 March 1665 Stratton St Margaret
Richard - chr 13 Mar 1667 Stratton St Margaret
Anne - chr 4 Apr 1673 Stratton St Margaret

Sadly no sign of Martha or Mary though.

The only burial I have found for Mary Baker [Richard's widow] is in 1708 so I'll follow that up. As for Lemuel, it looks like he died in 1710 as there is a burial on 16 Dec 1710 in Stratton for "Lemuel Baker"

I can't find Francis though.

I've tried to attach snippets from Richard's Will in which he names his uncle and brothers but for some odd reason the 'attachments box' isn't showing when I click on "Attachments and other options" so I will try to add them in a separate post.

Matt