Author Topic: Ancestry problems, how is FindMyPast nowadays?  (Read 6852 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry problems, how is FindMyPast nowadays?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 18 07:31 GMT (UK) »

Other current problems:
a) Images not available - replaced by a 'placeholder' image and they have no idea when this will be rectified (London Workhouse & Soldier's Effects are particularly bad)

British telephone books 'search' has not been working for quite a while and despite complaints they don't seem bothered.    Images are there though.  They have also said they don't know when that will be fixed.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps answer the original question about Ancestry v. FindMyPast, there's an in-depth comparison of both in the March issue of Who Do You Think You Are? magazine (12 pages, by Chris Paton).

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »

Other current problems:
a) Images not available - replaced by a 'placeholder' image and they have no idea when this will be rectified (London Workhouse & Soldier's Effects are particularly bad)

British telephone books 'search' has not been working for quite a while and despite complaints they don't seem bothered.    Images are there though.  They have also said they don't know when that will be fixed.

The placeholder image has been an issue previously although not on such a large scale and does eventually get resolved.  Ancestry have never been known to be that quick fixing such problems, although in this case its so widespread that it may get fixed quicker.

Another issue being the recently released Wiltshire Wills & Probates.  There are missing pages for a number of Registered Wills.  Where an Original Will for the same person also exists, its not such a big issue.  Ancestry are apparently working on it according to WSHC.

I also quite like the new bold heading font.

As to moving to FindMyPast, depends whether they have the record sets you wish to use and its worth bearing in mind that they do not have the same Family Trees facilities as Ancestry.  While they have recently announced their new global one family tree in conjunction with Familysearch, cynical me thinks that all you will be doing is updating the one global family tree on Familysearch where anyone can change anything at any time.  I've been told that the announcement doesn't say this but considering that the FAQs say that Familysearch has been selected as the "cornerstone of this initiative", personally to me that reads more likely that is the case but as its still in beta format only time will tell.  Obviously if you are OK with how the Familysearch one global tree works then its not an issue.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »

It took them nearly 5 years to move Somerset to England  ;D

Some of my ancestors were from Taunton and when they released the 1851 census,they'd transcribed all of Somerset as Somalia (it's the first drop down place when transcribing).
They didn't give a hoot (that's the polite word  8) ) and as I say it was 5 years before they finally changed them all to Somerset.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
To me the hints are all over the place currently.  There will be even more catastrophic errors if those people used to just attaching every one of the hints to their trees without due process do so at the moment as it appears to be pot luck what hint you get for each person - not always does either name match let alone both!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 March 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
deleted - wrong topic

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Re. the font, depending on which browser you're using you can use custom styles to change the fonts and colours. You'll need an extension like Stylus (Firefox, Chrome) and be willing to spend a bit of time fiddling about but you should be able to get something more to your liking.

The attached image shows just how pretty it could be. ;)

Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I hate comic font  :)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 March 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I would never change sites over a font.... even if it's annoying you'll get used to it.

If you're weighing up Ancestry vs Findmypast, then base your decision on which parish records are of more use to you. There are big differences between what's available at the two sites. And the 1939 register is a definite plus for Findmypast.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!