Author Topic: Alexander, Colin and Christine Waddell  (Read 2068 times)

Offline ethorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander, Colin and Christine Waddell
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information regarding Alexander Waddell, born in Glasgow South in 1968. He married Shirley Anne Smith in 1993 and had a daughter, Elizabeth. Elizabeth knows nothing about Alexander's family other than the fact he had two siblings - Colin and Christine. As far as their parents are concerned and other family members, I am really struggling to find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander, Colin and Christine Waddell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
As these people are still potentially living, we are not allowed to discuss them on RootsChat.

It would be very easy to research this query by going in person to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh, or the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, or the Highland archive centre in Inverness, or one or two other archives who have the necessary links.

However as they were born less than 100 years ago, you will not be allowed to look at anything online.

If you cannot go in person to one of these research centres, you would need to hire a professional searcher.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ethorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
As these people are still potentially living, we are not allowed to discuss them on RootsChat.

It would be very easy to research this query by going in person to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh, or the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, or the Highland archive centre in Inverness, or one or two other archives who have the necessary links.

However as they were born less than 100 years ago, you will not be allowed to look at anything online.

If you cannot go in person to one of these research centres, you would need to hire a professional searcher.

Ah, thank you.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian I thought you could order an extract for the recent births,marriages, and deaths. They cost £12 each.
regards,flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you can order extracts. I tend to forget about that option because it's usually cheaper to get a researcher to transcribe the certs you want than to get official copies.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
The details on a marriage certificate would provide the information required so only one could be ordered. Out of interest, what's the going rate for a researcher?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know exactly but last time I asked someone they said it would only take a few minutes to transcribe a certificate, and they would charge only for the actual time taken.

I presumed that the OP would not want to stop at just one cert - the question was for information about the parents and siblings. One or two hours of a researcher's time should be enough to get all those, plus another generation or two, and/or marriages and children of the siblings which would enable the OP to get in touch with relatives if that is his/her purpose. 

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I assumed they'd be working backwards. Silly me!
Thanks
flst

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I assumed they'd be working backwards. Silly me!
Maybe they do intend to work backwards, in which case it's silly me!

But even if they do, all the births and possibly the marriages of their parents will be too recent to view online, so they'd still need at least the three marriage certs to get back beyond the cut-off dates.