Author Topic: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on these two marriage certificates. 
My great grandfather Christopher John Harris married Elizabeth Johnson in 1914, he died in 1917 and she went on to remarry Thomas Shorland in 1919.  The strange thing is that the first marriage certificate shows Elizabeth's father as John William Johnson (deceased) but the second certificate from 1919 shows her father as George Wells.  I am at a loss to understand why.  Elizabeth is such a mystery to me as I just cannot find anything prior to her marrying into our Harris family and now this has baffled me!
Any help greatly appreciated.
Carole

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you have the right marriages?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same person but different father showing on certificate
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking aloud here, but if her father had died then maybe George Wells was her step-father. She was possibly known by the everyday name of Elizabeth Wells, but when she had to produce her birth certificate for marriage purposes it showed her original birth name and therefore she gave her birth father's name for consistency.

For her second marriage, she would have been able to show the marriage certificate for her first marriage as proof of her (married) name and thus it was less problematic for her to put the name of George Wells (the man who actually reared her) as her father.

Possibly an explanation or possibly just a flight of fantasy, but it could explain why you haven't found Elizabeth Johnson prior to the first marriage; because she might be listed in census documents as Elizabeth Wells. I haven't made any attempt to check out this theory in case you've already been down this path.

I note that one of the witnesses to the first marriage looks like "L Wells"
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted Rattus  (sorry no pun intended!) 

I think we need to find Elizabeth in 1911 or 1901 to see the name of her mother.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you have the right marriages?

Yes, these are both the right marriage certificates, we have all the information for Christopher Harris and the addresses all match with our records.   The second certificate, again matches addresses we knew Elizabeth and Thomas lived at and my Grandad grew up knowing Thomas as his father and knew Kate Street.

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rattus, that sounds like it could be a good reason.  Thank you so much as I hadn't noticed L Wells being a witness.  George Wells can be found on an electoral roll living with LOUISA Wells and Elizabeth Harris in 1919 at 24 Kate Street, Balham.
I only received the latest certificate two days ago but after 10 years of searching for Elizabeth with no joy I now feel I might be able to find something  :) :)

Offline Joyner1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted Rattus  (sorry no pun intended!) 

I think we need to find Elizabeth in 1911 or 1901 to see the name of her mother.

Yes, Groom it was very well spotted because I hadn't noticed it.  I am really excited now to have another avenue to follow after 10 years of searching, so glad I ordered the marriage certificate for Elizabeth and Thomas now.

A day of research tomorrow  :D if any of you come up with anything, I'll be pleased to have your help Rattus and Groom.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
George Wells can be found on an electoral roll living with LOUISA Wells and Elizabeth Harris in 1919 at 24 Kate Street, Balham.

So that definitely links Elizabeth with that family doesn't it?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
In 1901:
   473/113/4

at 31 Fernlea Rd Streatham
George Wells  1847 b Brighton

Louisa Wells b 1857 Croydon

Edward Johnson Son-In-Law Single Male 17 1884 b Croydon

Lizzie Johnson Daughter-InLaw b 1888 Croydon

Maureen