Author Topic: whigham  (Read 2038 times)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
whigham
« on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Alexander Whigham born about 1846, Currie, Scotland. His parents were William Whigham and Helen Weir. Alexander married Janet Allan, 1868, Currie, Scotland, he died 1914, Penicuik, I have Alexander's children, James 1866, can't find the full date of birth, born Currie, Janet 1870, Colinton, Edinburgh, Alexander 1872, The Kennels, Linlithgow, Maggie 1876, Currie, George 1879, Cramond, Edinburgh, Andrew 1868, Currie. Can't find Alexander on the 1851 census.

Ann

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: whigham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The IGI at Familysearch lists fur children to Alexander Whigham and Janet Allan
Andrew Anderson, born 23 December 1868
Janet born, 20 July 1870
Alexander Weir, born 31 December 1872
Jane Denholm, born 17 December 1874
(The IGI stops at 1874 so the younger children are not listed)

Noting that Alexander Whigham and Janet Allan were married on 19 June 1868, if James was born in 1866 he was born illegitimate and may be registered as James Allan. A James Allan was born in Glasgow Hutchesontown on 15 July 1866, and another was born on 11 September 1865 in Dundonald, Ayrshire, both illegitimate with mother Janet Allan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I have found Alexander in the 1851 census at Scotlands people.

Alexander WHIGUM age 4 Currie Ref 682/7/18

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow, the surname spelt differently. Thank you.

Ann

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have Whigham (most commonly), Whiggam and Wigham married into my family tree. It depended who wrote it down as to how it was spelled on that occasion.

ADP

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am wondering if you could help me with this family. On the 1851 census, Margaret Weir aged 72 was the head of the family. In the house hold there was Elizabeth aged 33 Margaret's daughter, Helen Weir 27, daughter again, she married a Whigham, but can't find the marriage. Ann Knox 10, Grand Daughter, Helen Henderson 8, Grand Daughter, Margaret Whigham 7, Grand Daughter, Ann Tait 5, Grand Daughter, Alexander Whigum 4, Stepson and George Kirkhope 1, Stepson. For George I have found a marriage for a George Kirkhope and Elizabeth Weir dom 1/9/1854, Currie.

Can you verify any of this information, also could you add to it.

Ann

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 April 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has an Alexander Wigham born 1st Aug. 1846 Currie Midlothian , parents William Wigham and Helen Weir.
Also to the same parents , Margaret Wigham born 10th June 1843 Currie Midlothian.

The 1851 Census transcription on FreeCEN has Helen Weir as unmarried , you would need to check the original on Scotlandspeople.

FreeCEN 1851 has Alexander and Margaret's surname as WHIQUM , all the children are listed as grandchildren.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline CarolynF11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 May 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hello . I might be able to help with some info in regards to Weir and kirkhope side. The above mentioned Anne Tait had an illegitimate son named James Tait ( to a James Tait )who later added Kirkhope to his name. Anne Tait went on to marry a William Knox from West Calder so that is possibly where the Knox grandchild comes from?  Illegitimate James Tait was my Great Great Grandfather.  I have mostly info from my family tree side but i have only gotten as far back as Alexander and Margaret Weir nee Pennycook. I have found the headstone for George and Elizabeth Kirkhope nee Weir but have yet to visit in person.