Author Topic: William Atchison who went to USA  (Read 881 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Atchison who went to USA
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I found an obituary in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa newspaper from 5 Dec. 1916 for Mrs. William Atchison.  It stated that she died the previous Friday at the home of her uncle Thomas S. Young in Williamsburg.  She and her son Joseph had come there a week ago with the remains of her husband from Chicago.  She was laid to rest beside her husband in the Harrington cemetery.  It said that the Atchisons were born in England over 70 years ago, went to Australia after their marriage, and then decided to come to the US.  It's a bit hard to read, but mentions that they had lived at MacDonald, West Virginia and their son lived in Chicago.  It said they buried one son in Australia.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I found an obituary in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa newspaper from 5 Dec. 1916 for Mrs. William Atchison. 

Nice find!

Geoff, it can be seen (for my favourite price of free) here :
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lpo/

Boo

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Some of the writing is a little confusing a one point, but that what is says.

Iowa City Press-Citizen
Iowa City, Iowa
Wednesday, December 06, 1916 - Page 4

WILLIAM ATCHISON DIED AT CHICAGO

Oxford, Dec. 6--William Atchinson 77, a native of England, died at the home of as only son, Joseph of Chicago, Nov. 23d, 1916. His remains accompanied by his wife and son were brought to Wlllamsburg, Iowa, arriving there on Monday morning, the 27th, thence o the residence of Thos. Young,  uncle of Mr. Atchison at York Center. The funeral services were held from the son's residence in Chicago Sunday, the 26th, at 2 clock p. m. Interment was made in the Harrington cemetery near, York Center, Iowa county on last Friday the 1st Inst.

The widow was suddenly stricken and died In a few hours. Mrs. Atchinson was 75 years of age. The funeral was held from the residence of Thos. Young where she died and was conducted by the Rev. L. R Shavian, pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Wllllamsburg, assisted y Rev, Wllsted of Oxford, Iowa. Tbe remains were laid beside those of her husband in the family plot. Of tbe Immediate family only the son, Joseph of Chicago, remains to mourn the loss of father and mother in the space of one short week.

Jo James of Oxford is a cousin of the former, Mr. Young came to Iowa in 1863 and about one year afterward returned to England where he married the wife who survived him one week. Soon after being married the couple went to Australia. About one year ater they came to Iowa and made heir home at Oskaloosa for a number of years, later moving to McDonald, West Virginia and in May 1916 they moved to Chicago to make their home with tbeir son Joseph who alone remains.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
bingo !
I found his obituary - which seems to be the source of the info you had from that family tree.

Williamsburg Journal Tribune, November 30 1916, page 5

I found it here: https://newspaperarchive.com/williamsburg-journal-tribune-nov-30-1916-p-5/

Though I don't have a sub, it allowed me to view the page.

If you can see it then fine, you can at least transcribe what it says. If not I can transcribe it for you

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 March 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
and another version of an obit for Jane

https://newspaperarchive.com/williamsburg-journal-tribune-dec-07-1916-p-6/

again, it lets me view that without having a sub.

This newspaper is also in the Find My Past US newspapers database.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
1895 Iowa State Census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-RMSN-J3?i=1041&cc=1803957

If you look at the Information tab at the bottom, it was Mahaska County, which includes Oskaloosa.

Boo

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 March 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Back on the case!
Many thanks to everyone for this research and especially Boo for your time and interest.
Yes I can see the obits. for William And Jane in the Williamsburg Journal which also offers more clues to the rest of the family.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 March 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
 possible death announcement for their son, Joseph
https://newspaperarchive.com/williamsburg-journal-tribune-dec-23-1954-p-1/
Edit

That site seems to have stopped letting me see the page without a sub, fair enough, but in case you can't see it, the article said:

Williamsburg Journal Tribune 23 Dec 1954

JOSEPH ATCHISON DIED THURSDAY OF A HEART ATTACK

Joseph H Atchison, who has lived in Williamsburg for the past two years, died suddenly of a heart attack on Dec 16. Mr Atchison was born near Williamsburg shortly after his parents arrived from England in 1884. He is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mrs George Stockdale of Corning  N.Y.
Mr Atchison was a life-long Mason and was a veteran of World War 1.

and a likely notice of his wife's death
Williamsburg Journal Tribune 19 Feb 1959

Receive Word of Recent  Death of Former Resident

Miss Anna Hall received word recently of the death of her friend, Mrs Joseph Archison in Corning N.Y.
Mrs Atchison was raised in this community and will be remembered, Mr and Mrss Atchison lived in the house now occupied by Mr ans Mrs Frank Everist.
Mrs Atchison was in the hospital following a series of strokes, In passing she donated her eyes to the eye bank and her body to the hospital. Crematorial services were held in New York.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 March 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
and death announcement for their first son, Robert who died in Brisbane
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lpq/

Boo