Author Topic: Birth in Bath 1877  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth in Bath 1877
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the mothers name of Ann Hurley born in Bath 1877.

I am unable to find a marriage for her parents. The father was Henry HURLEY born in Banwell, Somerset in 1853. He joined the Royal Artillery in 1872, so could have been married anywhere.

Ann the daughter was born in Bath 1877.

In 1882 Henry married Emma BRIENT in Canterbury and they had two more children.

Would be very grateful if some very kind soul could give me Ann's mothers detail from a Baptism record perhaps.

Regards
Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Bath 1877
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
The birth was registered Dec quarter 1876, and maiden name is o’connor,

Mike

From the gro index

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
You may have to sign in to view the link

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Deleted - Link now added by Mazi
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a marriage, but I note a William Hurley reg. in Bath sept quarter 1875,  a possible sibling

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a marriage, but I note a William Hurley reg. in Bath sept quarter 1875,  a possible sibling

Mike

Possibly not, he seems to be in the 1881 with George and elisabeth hurley as parents

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
May need to look at military marriage indexes if Henry in the army, only available as far as I know on findmypast though possible Irish connection if maiden name of mother of 1878 Ann's birth was O'Connor.

ADDED: If Henry remarried in 1882, do you know when Ann died? Do you have Henry on the 1881 census - is he married or widowed then? If married, what is his wife's forename &  birthplace? Do you have Henry's army record - this sometimes names a wife.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Army record states "Home 28 8 1872 to 16 10 1876" then "in India from 17 Oct '76 to 22 Mar '80". So must have married Ms/Mrs O'Connor "at home". Sadly army record does not state where he was "at home". No record found of marriage in Irish genealogy.

I suppose the quickest way is to purchase a £6 pdf copy of 1876 birth certificate....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
William born 1875 had mother's maiden name O'Connor. Marian b. 1873, Thomas 1871 and Harriett 1869 had MMN recorded as Connor. They appear to all be children of Edward and Unity. He was an umbrella maker, born Banwell about 1834, she was born in Glasgow about 1840. They appear to have married in Dublin in 1860. It must be likely that the Ann registered at Bath was also from that family. On the other hand she is not with them in the 1881 census and I can't see a baptism so she could be from a different family. Perhaps Henry was a relative of Edward and married a relative of Unity.

David

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 March 18 03:23 GMT (UK) »
There is only one Ann Hurley born in Bath and that is the one already mentioned born Dec.qtr.1876, mmn shown as O'Connor - she was baptised as Ann Margaret Hurley on 10/12/1876 Lyncombe St. Mark (registration district is Bath), dau. of Edward and Unity. 

Have found her in 1881 as Annie Hurley 4 born Bath in Banwell with 'cousin' Ann Elizabeth Hurley Marr., 27, shown her general labourers wife.

Thomas Hurley, 25, labourer, son of Jonas Hurley, married Ann Elizabeth Merritt, 27, dau. of William Merritt, on 29/7/1880 Winscombe, Somerset.

Thomas Hurley was not with them in 1881 so looked for him and found him living in Lyncombe & Widcombe as nephew to Edward and Unity Hurley.

Thomas Hurley was younger brother of Henry Hurley, parents Jonas and Ann - Jonas and Edward appear to be brothers.

So, Edward and Unity had a daughter Ann (baptised Ann Margaret) in December 1876 who in 1881 appears to be living with their nephews wife in Banwell, and said nephew Thomas is living with them!   There is only the one birth reg'd for an Ann Hurley in Bath when according to census there should be 2, one daughter of Edward and one daughter of Henry.

Presumably Henry's daughter Ann is with her father Henry in 1881 wherever he was.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk