Author Topic: Northumberland Archives  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Archives
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the archives were put in the wrong place right from the start. When the NBL archives were at Melton Park and Morpeth, they were easily accessible by bus and car. Now they are only accessible by car, taxi or on foot (if you are keen on a really long walk along a wooded, unlit,  winding road with no footpath).

The fact that it is embedded in the heart of the museum is making access to the archives a problem. Whoever administers the site doesn't change the fact it's in the wrong place and has been for the last 11 years.

Before I returned to the north, I used the Hampshire and the Berkshire archives at Reading and Winchester. Reading R/O is a fairly modern building with a dedicated car park just outside and a real pleasure to work in, quiet! Buses stop over the road. Winchester is right in the city but public transport and a big car park 100 yards away from their new building make it quite accessible. Once again, a pleasure to work in, quiet.

Woodhorn can be noisy at times, with groups of school children passing the door, brass bands the other day (!) and soundtracks from neighboring museum rooms.

No solution to this except taking it out of that site and relocation, that will never happen! Oh and its free to visit Reading and Winchester!

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the archives were put in the wrong place right from the start. When the NBL archives were at Melton Park and Morpeth, they were easily accessible by bus and car. Now they are only accessible by car, taxi or on foot (if you are keen on a really long walk along a wooded, unlit,  winding road with no footpath).

Which is the main reason I haven't ever visited. My trips to the North East are rare and expensive as they involve travel (over the years that's been variously from Canada, Derbyshire and now Scotland) , at least two nights in a hotel, plus local transport to get anywhere other than Newcastle.
Once I get to Newcastle the further trip to Woodhorn would , for me, involve public transport which doesn't go near enough,plus the time taken to get there and back alone means its just not viable no matter how much I'd like to go there.

I live in hope (ever the optimist!) that they will have the foresight to finally digitise parish records and make them available online - I'd happily pay for a system like SEAX have. Holding my breath not being considered as I may be long gone before they do it :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
I agree - this archives is not situated in the best of places - albeit the lake and wooded area nearby is lovely.

On the few times I have been after leaving the bus station I have had to walk down a very long main road, then cross over a small, I think unused railway line.  Then I walk through some wooded area and a path that takes me round a lake.  The first two times I went I took the wrong turning twice and ended up going down another wooded lane.  I know this has happened to others too.

Once when I left a young woman left at around the same time and looked terrified as  she raced around the lake on exiting.  She got lost and I had to advise her.

The staff once advised me to leave a little earlier as they knew I was going around the lake on foot and it was the dark nights at the time.

I have some relatives who always ask for me to ring them on reaching the bus station - they are that concerned on the few occasions I do get there. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
There are buses which go direct from Newcastle and one from North Shields which will get you to Ashington bus station.  It is on your own peril after that As you make your way on described walking route. :) ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 April 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
No need to go anywhere near the lake if you are walking for a bus. Cut across the railway line, its a mineral line and its years since I last saw a train there. Just be careful. Then when you get to the main road cross to the far side of the roundabout and the bus shelter and stop is at the beginning of Woodhorn Rd. There are several buses that go from there in the direction of Ashington and Morpeth. Walking from Woodhorn to the bus stop about 10-15 mins?

I was at Woodhorn this afternoon and saw a lady taking this route about 4pm.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
No need to go anywhere near the lake if you are walking for a bus. Cut across the railway line, its a mineral line and its years since I last saw a train there. Just be careful. Then when you get to the main road cross to the far side of the roundabout and the bus shelter and stop is at the beginning of Woodhorn Rd. There are several buses that go from there in the direction of Ashington and Morpeth. Walking from Woodhorn to the bus stop about 10-15 mins?

I was at Woodhorn this afternoon and saw a lady taking this route about 4pm.

Gen in NBL UK

Hi Gen List

I`m presuming the Railway tracks are the ones that lead to Alcan/Rio Tinto, if so then they are now back in use. There is about 3-4 running per day. I live right next to the gates and we received a letter informing us the service was back on. I think a new company must have taken over part of Alcan.

This is supposed to be the line they are planning to run the train link from Newcastle to Ashington on. They were planning on putting the Station at Woodhorn, which would be handy for those that do live out of the area.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
When I first went to the archives, quite a few years back, I went with my sister-in-law.  We entered by some Miner's cottages crossing a rail track which we presumed was unused.  When I mentioned this to a staff member, I was told, at that time, that they would no way advocate this way of getting in, although they said they were aware that people did do this.  (We are not locals to Woodhorn and did not know the way to enter - we had presumed it would have been easier than we found it.)

From that time on the very few occasions I am able to get there I tend to go from Newcastle to Ashington Bus station.  On coming out of the bus station I stay on the same side of the road passing a large ASDA supermarket and go straight ahead.  I then cross at the traffic lights and get on to the side where there is a McDonalds.  I then walk down the very long main road.  After some distance there is a notice on the left for the Queen Elizabeth country park.  I then go in through the gate crossing a very small railtrack which I presumed unused.  I go through a wooded area and then go along a path around the lake and then get to the Woodhorn Museum area.

I once got a bus to the Ashington bus station from North Shields but that route feels like it takes forever to reach there. 

Thanks Sue, for information about the train track now being in use.   :o

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 April 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Sue

I spoke to the Woodhorn entrance staff this morning and they confirmed rail traffic has picked up a little recently. Possibly to the rejuvenated power station at Lynemouth, the old ALCAN one. They cannot be very frequent as I visit Woodhorn twice a week and haven't seen a train on that line for years.

The Woodhorn staff rightly discourage crossing the railway line but no alternative has been implemented! Dog and horse walkers regularly cross the line a bit nearer to Ashington near the police station, as its the only (?) way into the community woods.

Gen in NBL UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
This definitely gets the prize, I think, for being the most difficult archives to access for pedestrians/public transport users like myself.  :-\