Author Topic: WWI - What was this man's role?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline pennyworth1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI - What was this man's role?
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a man from Ditchling, Sussex who was 39 at the outbreak of WWI.  His family have given me a photo of him in uniform and on the back it says Father in Local District Volunteers (LDV).  I looked this up and the LDV only started in WWII.  Can anyone tell me anything from his uniform please? Penny

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: WWI - What was this man's role?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Deleted

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I think it is an Australian Imperial Force uniform. Apparently there were 2 patterns this looks like the first one.

Have a look at this link. https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/australian-imperial-force-other-ranks-uniform-1914-1918
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
The picture's quite grainy, but could that be some sort of LDV armband he's wearing, on his old WW1 uniform? He'd be well on in his fifties, but it's plausible. Do you know where he was in 1911?
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I'd suggest it is his old Boer War uniform. LDV as the forerunner of the Home Guard were Local Defence Volunteers.  Haven't found it but a number of Boer War era units had Volunteers in the title.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look for pictures of Boer War uniforms but without much luck. I did, however, blunder across this. What do you think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Dress_%28British_Army%29#/media/File:Victor_Earl_Barnes,_1915_(8075456653).jpg
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 18 00:37 GMT (UK) »
My English grandfather and his brothers-in-law were in a pre great war part time volunteer army set up by Lord Kitchener and judging by an article in Wikipedia it looks like Australia did the same:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Army_Reserve

Following the Federation of Australia in 1901, the amalgamation of the military forces controlled by the six separate, self-governing British colonies to form a unified force controlled by the Commonwealth was an inevitable, albeit slowly realised, consequence, given that the new Constitution of Australia assigned the defence power solely to the Commonwealth.[8] Indeed, this process took some time as, to a large extent, matters of defence were not necessarily a priority of the new Australian legislature at the time, and there was also a considerable diversity in opinion regarding the composition and size of the new national army and role it would play at home and indeed within the wider Imperial defence system. Nevertheless, the official transfer of forces from the states to the Commonwealth occurred on 1 March 1901, and this date is today celebrated as the birthday of the modern Australian Army. At the outset, the bulk of the Commonwealth military force was to be made up of part-time volunteers
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I suspect he is a member of the WW1 Volunteer Training Corps (VTC).  They were the WW1 version of the LDV and formed on a volunteer basis for local defence.  They wore non-standard uniform and GR black on red arm bands.  They were incorporated in to the Army in 1917-18 as Volunteer Battalions.

The tunic and arm band are typical of early war VTC.  His on/daughter who wrote the inscription must have written it post WW2 when the LDV was in vogue.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
The slouch hat is not Australian by the way.  After the Boer War many volunteers and yeomanry
 (and even cadets) adopted the slouch hat in Boer war fashion.  Clearly his unit re-adopted it for WW1.