Author Topic: Car owner records dublin late 1800's/1900's  (Read 4856 times)

Offline robertvillesearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Car owner records dublin late 1800's/1900's
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt response and for taking the trouble to look for me.  Had a big breakthrough yesterday so following that up today but will keep John Smyth 25 Princes St North 1850 on my radar.  i have discovered that George Smyths son James was a hackney driver in 1886 living at Green Street so it is looking promising. :) :)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Many of those on the list I have are also listed as 'coachmaker's', I think it's fair to assume that those who made the coaches/cab's may also have 'rented/leased' them out.

Offline Dublingal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 15:39 BST (UK) »
Apologies all for not returning to the original thread i started, I had a baby at the same time...and lost any time to get further into anything!! Ihave had a read through of other replies so thank you.
My relatives lived on Hill Street Dublin and were Gormans and Hanlons. in fact Mary Hanlon was compensated for one of her cabs being used as a barricade in 1922! The records are online.
The fathers are listed as car owners on marriage records etc or carmen...i think as far back as the 1880's up until at least 1922....

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 July 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
Grizzly I

You are correct in believing that the City Authorities regulated Carmen and Carts. These regulations as detailed in the Calendar of Ancient Records of Dublin will be found referenced in the CD entitled Dublin 1169-1841 A Source Work , a copy of which I lodged with the TCD Library.

Felixquaxer

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 July 19 15:51 BST (UK) »

Dublingal

The edition of the Irish Times for 22nd February 1886  Page 5 records that John Gorman of Hill Street was involved in a serious road accident.
That of the 23rd December 1893 in an advert. on Page 8 records the death of Anthony Smith (car owner formerly of No.4 Green Street ) on the 26th November 1893.
For the period 1859-1901 there are no references to the persons you mention in Blessin gton Court or Upper Dominick St. in that newspaper.

felixquaxer

Offline Dublingal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 July 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million felixquaxer. John Gorman was my 4th great grandfather! I must have a look at that. He lived until 1916 himself. And his wife until 1937 and they had cars up until then as far as I can find. The Hanlon association with cars ended around 1918 when John hanlon son in law to John Gorman died.

Offline TreeBarker1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 July 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is a topic of interest to me.My great grandfather was a car owner.I have not come across licence records.One source you might look at is the petty court sessions records available on findmypast.I have come across a couple a records there one of which gives his licence number so maybe there are licence records available somewhere.

Hi, would you be so kind as to look and see if you have a Walter Kelly, address probably South Cumberland Street or Bishop Street.  Thanks

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 September 19 01:14 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir,

I would appreciate an explanation on differences between coach maker, car owner, and cabman or carman?

The reason I asked is that on marriage of my great great grandfather Mathew Deegan--he stated that he is a coach maker and that his father Mathew Deegan is car owner.

On their death entries, both were down as a cabman in 1873 and 1875.

A widow, Rose Deegan, was down as a widow of carman in 1880.

All were in Dublin.

Could you please look up to ascertain if Mathew Deegan is indeed a coachmaker or not and that his father Mathew is indeed a car owner?

Many thanks,

Tees

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile