Author Topic: Ellen Rickwood  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Rickwood
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
   Thank you for all the overnight replies.
      It looks as if Sunflower has found them - I had a feeling this was a name that could appear in many forms!
    Keyboard - I haven't found a marriage, possibly for the above reason. I had Johns baptism, but had not thought of checking GRO. Had a quick look with the name Gilham, without success, but will look again. Is it possible that they were married in Notts, though in censuses Mary claims to have been born in the same village as her husband?
   I can't fit Harriet and Edward in the family as it appears in 1841.
   The occ. of footman might explain why he was so far afield!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 March 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
   I think I have them pretty much sorted out now, with the extra information you all gave me. William was already a footman when the first child was born in Kent, so he must have taken similar work in Nottingham. Radford seems to be part of Nottingham - I wonder if there were any "big houses" there?
   The family was back in Kent in 1835, and William was back to being an ag lab!
   Thanks for the help.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 March 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, did Sophia Elizabeth Rickwood 41 marry a William Screeder 50 1st November 1868 Littlebourne, St Vincent Father William Rickwood?
Keyboard86

:) I like attempting to tie up loose ends, like the fact I can locate a married William Screeder 52 occ Shepherd at Black Robin Corner, Kingstone, Bridge in 1871, but cannot locate the supposed wife Sophia Elizabeth to find her pob?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
  Well, I can tell you that Sophia was baptised in Bishopsbourne Oct 1828, transcribed (understandably) as Rickward. All these variations on the name have been something of a problem, then she marries a man with an equally awkward name! Now you have set me off trying to find her in the 1871 census. This only started off as a bit of gentle local history, but you know how it is!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire