Author Topic: William Sutherland of Killipheder  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Rodney Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Sutherland of Killipheder
« on: Sunday 11 March 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for William Sutherland's brothers and their issue. William S. of Killipheder, born 1730 and died 1832.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Sutherland of Killipheder
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who William's parents were and where did you get the year of his birth?

And, Killipheder was on South Uist. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rodney Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 03:28 GMT (UK) »
William Sutherland's father was Hugh Sutherland, Mother Margaret Gunn. Killipheder was also an estate just outside Helmsdale.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I see no children of Hugh/Margaret Gunn in the OPR's then again the records for this period are few.

If William died in 1832 at 102 then it will likely be published, it might provide a bit more detail.  Any idea where he died?

Don

Offline Rodney Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't know where William died. William's wife was Catherine Polson and he had two sons Alexander and John.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
This clip here is repeated in many sources:

....The Earl of Sutherland was the chief of the clan, but on the accession to the earldom in 1766, of Countess Elizabeth, the infant daughter of the eighteenth earl, and afterward Duchess of Sutherland, as the chiefship could not descend to a female, William Sutherland of Killipheder, who died in 1832, and enjoyed a small annuity from her grace, was accounted the eldest male descendant of the old earls....
www.electricscotland.com/webclans/stoz/sutherl2.html

Also www.geni.com/people/William-Sutherland/6000000020790166160
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland_of_Killipheder

I cannot see any reference to Wills & Testament entries nor burials/births so far  :-\

Like you Don, so far can only see a reference to South Uist. Very bitty the info and not much substance so far which is surprising as normally these families have been well documented (including branches) over the years.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 03:09 GMT (UK) »
About 5 miles west of Helmsdale along the A897 this is small place (3-4) farms called Kilphedir.  However, prior to the early part of the 21st C it didn't exist. There have been small farms identified there since the 1600's, none which carried this name and certainly no estates.  The Sutherland estates can be found here https://maps.nls.uk/estates/golspie-loth/graphic-index.html

As for William who died in 1832 it was published on the 24th of October 1832 in the Inverness Courier (and other papers of the day). 

On the 5th inst., at his residence in the Cross-causeway, Edinburgh, William Sutherland and senior of Kilpheader, in the 81st year of his age.  He was said to be the eldest male descendant of the Earls of Sutherland, and enjoyed a small annuity from the present Countess in respect to his illustrious descent.

I can send you a copy of the paper if you wish.

Killipheder on South Uist you can find on most maps going back to the 16thC but difficult to read. This is the best which shows the extent of the holdings http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400298  If William lived there the mains still seem to exist and you can see it in Google Maps.

Don

Offline Rodney Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don, Thankyou for your efforts.

A change in tack.
I have a copy of a letter written in 1854 by George Sutherland to his son John (my ancestors).
The letter refers to his Great Grandfather being a Laird of Milpeter. The Gt Grandfather claims that "after the Earl of Aboyne married the heiress of Sutherland (ie Elizabeth) ......the Gordons were a strong clan........dared anyone..... to throw her out and reinstate the male line, that is the Milpeter families."

The Sutherlands of Kilipheder are the ones documented as having unsuccessful claims initially through Alexander 1st of Killipheder (Elizabeth's half brother) and then John his son. That is why I thought Killipheder and Milpeter might be one in the same.

I have been unable to find any information at all on Milpeter.

Jock

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 18 02:20 GMT (UK) »
It is quite possible both are the same, it could be a pet name of sorts. 

However, I see no Milpeter anywhere including a host of possible spelling variations.  Nothing in the National Archives Catalogue nor tied to your kin. 

The other problem is the further you try to go back looking for place names the more difficult it becomes due to the spelling and language variations.  In your case you are now in the 17thC and detailed maps are very rare especially for the highlands.

Don