Author Topic: Elisabeth Ewing, late 1700's in Balfron area  (Read 3156 times)

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elisabeth Ewing, late 1700's in Balfron area
« on: Monday 12 March 18 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for additional information on Elisabeth Ewing.  Elisabeth married Thomas Edmond in 1809 in Balfron.  I have confirmation of 2 children Jean in 1810 and Peter in 1813.  Looking for additional information about her.  When and where was she born?  Did she have additional children? Who were her parents?  Thanks for any help.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elisabeth Ewing, late 1700's in Balfron area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
The record below seems a possibility on Scotland's People

ELIZABETH   EWING   ANDREW EWING/JANET DUN    03/07/1785   Fintry

Jean & Peter appear to be their only children.

James & Andrew Edmond also had children in Balfron during the same period.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I have also learned from a death certificate that Elizabeth and Thomas Edmond had a son, Alexander born in 1828 in Fintry.  He died in 1893 in Fintry. I believe he may have been a twin (also show Andrew born Jan 1828), but can find no additional info on Andrew

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I have also learned from a death certificate that Elizabeth and Thomas Edmond had a son, Alexander born in 1828 in Fintry.  He died in 1893 in Fintry. I believe he may have been a twin (also show Andrew born Jan 1828), but can find no additional info on Andrew
The death certificate didn't tell you that he was born in 1828, because Scottish death certificates in 1893 don't have dates of birth on them. The index tells me that Alexander Edmond died in 1893 aged 66. If I subtract 66 from 1893, I get 1827. However without looking at the date of death I can't tell whether he died early in the year, before he had his birthday in 1893, or later, after his 1893 birthday. If he died after his birthday, he would have turned 67, and if I subtract 67 from 1893 I get 1826. So assuming that his age is accurate on his death certificate, he would have been born in either 1826 or 1827.

Where did you find Andrew who you believe was born in 1828?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
There is an index on Ancestry.com for both Andrew Edmond and Alexander Edmond DOB Jan 24, 1828 Associate Session Balfron parents Thomas Edmond and Elisabeth Ewen.  Alexander Edmond died on June 1, 1893 in Fintry.  Death certificate lists parents as Thomas Edmond and Elisabeth Ewing.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
There is an index on Ancestry.com for both Andrew Edmond and Alexander Edmond DOB Jan 24, 1828 Associate Session Balfron parents Thomas Edmond and Elisabeth Ewen.
That is both interesting and worrying.

Interesting, because it certainly looks very credible.

OTOH it's Ancestry, and you should never trust anything on Ancestry (or any other commercial web site) unless it's an image of an original document.

Worrying, because there is no listing in the index at Scotland's People for these baptisms in the Balfron Associate baptism register.

If correct it means (obviously) that Alexander's age at death is inaccurate. It also begs some other questions, such as where was he in 1841 and 1851? And where did Ancestry get the information from?

BTW what was the name of Alexander's wife?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Was Alexander Edmond(shoemaker?) married to Catherine Ross ?

Possible 2nd marriage to Helen Spence in 1866 , there is an Alexander Edmond age 15 , apprentice shoemaker , on the 1841 Census(Strathblane Stirlingshire) but not with family.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes - This is him.  He was married to Catherine Ross and Helen Spence, and was listed as a shoemaker on his death cert.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Also Alexander Edmond, 29, shoemaker, born Balfron with wife Catherine, 24, born St Ninians, in Fintry in 1851.