Author Topic: Elisabeth Ewing, late 1700's in Balfron area  (Read 3158 times)

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elisabeth Ewing, late 1700's in Balfron area
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Ev

Can you share the other people listed on the 1841 census with Alexander Edmond?  Also can anyone confirm Andrew Edmond, or is it possible his entry on ancestry is a mistake, or was he possibly twin to Alexander?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Try https://www.freecen.org.uk/ for 1841/1851 Census transcriptions(Stirlingshire).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 18 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has the 1828 baptisms for Alexander and Andrew.

Also-
Baptisms , father Thomas Edmond , mother not named , Associate Session Balfron Stirling.
James Edmond 5th Aug. 1819
Thomas Edmond 5th Aug. 1819
Elisabeth Edmond 3rd Sept. 1820

Scotlandspeople doesn't seem to have these so not sure  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has the 1828 baptisms for Alexander and Andrew.

Also-
Baptisms , father Thomas Edmond , mother not named , Associate Session Balfron Stirling.
James Edmond 5th Aug. 1819
Thomas Edmond 5th Aug. 1819
Elisabeth Edmond 3rd Sept. 1820

Scotlandspeople doesn't seem to have these so not sure  :-\
SP does have these three, in the 'other churches' database, but not Alexander or Andrew. Very curious.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
This is very strange.  I wonder if Alexander and Andrew are the same person (maybe Andrew was a middle name?) listed separately with the same birth date .  As James and Thomas both show the same birth date Aug 5, 1819.  I have the death cert from Peter Edmond in 1859, son of Thomas and Elisabeth Ewing.  (My 3x grt. grandfather)  It shows his father as James and mother as Elisabeth Ewing.  Now I wonder if his father was Thomas James Edmond and went by James.  Not sure how we could ever prove this.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
This is very strange.  I wonder if Alexander and Andrew are the same person (maybe Andrew was a middle name?) listed separately with the same birth date.
The same baptism date. Maybe the parents hadn't got round to having the older one baptised, and got them both done at the same time.

As James and Thomas both show the same birth date Aug 5, 1819.
Again, the same baptism date. There's a really easy way to find out what actually happened, which is to take a look at one or other of the baptisms on Scotland's People.

I have the death cert from Peter Edmond in 1859, son of Thomas and Elisabeth Ewing.  (My 3x grt. grandfather)  It shows his father as James and mother as Elisabeth Ewing.  Now I wonder if his father was Thomas James Edmond and went by James.  Not sure how we could ever prove this.
It's far more likely that whoever registered the death made a mistake and said James instead of Thomas. That is not unusual, in fact. (I have come across cousins who married, but if you believe their death certificates they were brother and sister! Their grandson obviously got mixed up about which pair of his great-grandparents was which.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.