Author Topic: Freegard/Frigard family Crest  (Read 786 times)

Offline Marpatch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Freegard/Frigard family Crest
« on: Monday 12 March 18 04:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a photo of the Freegard/ Frigard Family Crest, but am finding it very hard to find.
I just want to add it to my personal tree records. I would be grateful if any one can help.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Freegard/Frigard family Crest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 18 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you have reason to think that there is one ?
If this is the family from Bremhill in Wiltshire c.1700 I can't see that the family were armigerous. Can you indicate a reason to think that they might be ?

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Freegard/Frigard family Crest
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that there is no such thing as a coat-of-arms belonging to a surname?

This from the College Of Arms:
Q. Do coats of arms belong to surnames?

A. No. There is no such thing as a 'coat of arms for a surname'. Many people of the same surname will often be entitled to completely different coats of arms, and many of that surname will be entitled to no coat of arms. Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)