Author Topic: Help finding Sharkey/Szarka/Szarke Polish Jewish Ancestors  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Alex Sharkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Sharkey/Szarka/Szarke Polish Jewish Ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I've sent a report to the moderator. Back on topic, on the United Synagogue I found a record of Rose Rosenblatt married to something else in 1903 but not the record of David Sharkey. But seeing as the US needs exact names and misspellings can occur I will keep looking.

My auntie has a jewish brother who works in a university so I'm going to see if I can enlist his help too. I'm also considering a holiday to Warsaw sometime next year (partly because it looks like a nice place to visit and me and the wife like city breaks) so maybe I can get some research done when I'm there.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex,

The US database only covers the period 1880 to 1917 at the moment. I would therefore recommend that you email them about David's 1926 marriage.

Note 3 at the bottom of the page reads, "In some cases due to illegible handwriting, spellings of names cannot be 100% accurate. Consequently, to assist in searches a Soundex search system is utilised to give alternative options to a required search."

I have no doubt that Warsaw in the summertime would be very enjoyable - a lot of open-air street cafes/bars.

Offline Kimbobalina

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,

Just found this thread googling my great-great-grandparents’ names: Abraham and Rosie Sharkey. Pretty sure from reading this that we are talking about the same family! Hoping you still check this site but would be lovely to get in touch - we have copies of some birth and marriage certificates which you might find interesting.

Not sure exactly how to work this site but maybe you could find me on Twitter: @KimberleyAtkins

Looking forward to hearing!

Kim