Author Topic: Mary Gunning  (Read 2979 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gunning
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 April 18 08:37 BST (UK) »
William Gunning, widower, shoemaker, Movilla St. Newtownards, son of James Gunning (farmer), married (1875) Sarah Lyndsay-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11203/8105585.pdf

Am starting to wonder if the details of Mary Gunning as wife of William a shoemaker are correct  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 April 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Gunning, shoemaker's child, died 1888 age 6- father David Gunning-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1888/06191/4770533.pdf

Death of Mary Gunning, shoemaker's child, died 1878 aged 14 days- father William Gunning-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1878/020505/7195812.pdf

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 April 18 16:09 BST (UK) »

Thanks again for all the help.I think I said before that David Gunning was William's brother,he was also a shoemaker,as were his brothers,James and Thomas.William lived in Conlig,where he rented a large house.When he died he was in the workhouse in Ards,where he'd been for at least a year with dementia.I would think that Mary died before 1896 otherwise she might have cared for him at home? If she died in Conlig,I guess that comes under Ards or is it Bangor?
 Someone asked the last record of her being alive,she was alive in 1851 on the census.Her youngest child was born about 1860,I think that was Henry.He went to live in Glasgow.
  Where did someone find her marriage date to William? Marriages were recorded from 1845,I have one for another ancestor,so if they were married after that it should be available?
 I can't think of anything else that might help in finding Mary's death.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 April 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
You don't seem to be reading the information already posted  :-\

Mary Jane Gunning was the daughter of David Gunning and Martha Gray. This David's father was William Gunning, also a shoemaker.

I posted details of William Gunning's marriage in 1875 to Sarah Lyndsay. There were several children born to this couple.

It is becoming more and more likely that Mary (Snodden) Gunning did die before 1864 (so no death registration). Newtownards registration district covers a large area but it's also likely that she and William could have been married before civil registration of non-Catholic marriages (1845)- I am still checking some things to do with their family in an attempt to ascertain when eldest child might have been born.