Author Topic: Mary Gunning  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gunning
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:24 GMT (UK) »
The link has already been posted for the 1896 death cert.

It is for a Mary Gunning aged 74,Culmore, wife of a landowner, and a Maria Gunning, daughter is present at the death.
This doesnt sound like your Mary Gunning.
How do you know her death is 1896?

There is no parents names listed on a irish death certificate at that time.
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1879 Mary Jane Gunning death had a Bernard Gunning as the informant- I remember yesterday finding his death and it looked like he was the husband of that Mary.

Therefore, if your Mary Gunning's husband was a shoemaker called William then neither death is the one you are looking for.

"On Ancestry it gives her death as being in 1896 in Caslereagh aged 74"
Is this from an online tree or just based on results of a search for Mary Gunning death?

When is the last time you know Mary Gunning was alive? If she died before 1864 there will be no death certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »

Thanks again for all your help.When I applied for a death certificate for Mary,I based it on the entry on Ancestry,her death showing as 1896 but the Registery Office couldn't find it.She was born about 1820,she had at least 1 brother,Andrew,who was born 1822,he married a Jane Beggs,they are both buried in Movilla cemetry.To divert from Mary,her son,Thomas, who left his family in Scotland and went to New Zealand married again,commiting bigamy,he added Beggs to his name,which was his aunt's maiden name.
 William,as far as I know,is buried in Movilla,if his wife died before him I imagine they are together.If I could find the grave,the date of death would be on it.
  If I contact Ards council would they have a record of the grave?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
The 1896 death was very easily found so I'm not sure why you were unable to get the certificate (or why you didn't just view it online) but perhaps you specified too may details and when they didn't match the record you were told they couldn't find the death you were looking for.

You could try contacting Newtownards but a number of years ago they were certainly less than helpful when I asked, in person, for location of a family grave in Movilla.

There are some Gunnings buried in Movilla but it's possible your Gunnings don't have a headstone and could even be buried in Public Ground.
https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/MovillaCemetery/162591

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for replying.Are you saying that the date of death I have for Mary's death,1896 is correct?How do I view it on line?
 I contacted Ards Council some years ago and I was given all the lairs owned by Gunnings,I don't know what I did with the print out. I tried to contact them today but it seemed impossible to find anything to do with the cemetery.I logged onto Billion Graves but didn't have any luck there.Is there nowhere else that has records for Movilla.If William and his wife are in a paupers grave there should still be a record of the burial

/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that the date of death I have for Mary's death,1896 is correct? How do I view it on line?
There is a death in 1896 for a Mary Gunning but her husband was a landowner not a shoemaker.
You can view that certificate by clicking on the link I posted earlier.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 April 18 00:15 BST (UK) »

Am still searching for the year of Mary Gunning's death.I've tried several sites but none of them coincide.She must be registered as she definately died after registration became compulsory.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 April 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
There is no guarantee she is registered, lots of people in Ireland don't have a death certificate.
Unless the cert was needed for something many famlies never got around to registering a death.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 April 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
Far too young but there is a Sarah Gunning 44 died 1890 wife of William Gunning shoemaker Church Lane Newtownards.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06120/4747560.pdf

Different William, or could your William have remarried a younger woman.