Author Topic: Who was Mrs McKenna of 63 Neptune Street, Govan?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Mrs McKenna of 63 Neptune Street, Govan?
« on: Monday 12 March 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Evening all,

In September 1938 my great-grandfather James Casey was struck by a train at Ibrox station and died. He had apparently been visiting a sick relative. I have found a newspaper article about his death and it says "A married daughter, Mrs McKenna of 63 Neptune Street, Govan, accompanied him to the station".

As far as I know, James Casey only had two daughters of  marrying age at that time. Susannah, born 1904, married a man called William Keenan and Catherine, born 1907, married a man called Archibald Shanks. No McKennas that I have come across. So I am wondering, how can I find out who Mrs McKenna was? I was hoping to find a first name and or maybe her husband's name.  I first thought of the valuation rolls but the most recent year available seems to be 1935. Is there anywhere else I can look?

Many thanks.

P.S. Articled attached for anyone interested.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Mrs McKenna of 63 Neptune Street, Govan?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried scotlands people for a marriage or a death of Mrs McKenna

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
There is this death in Scotland's People - search for surname MCKENNA other surname CASEY.

MCKENNA
JANET
CAMPBELL
607/ 736
Glasgow, Martha St
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
there is a marriage between a Casey and a McKenna in Motherwell  in 1972 which is way past 1938 but it is the only marriage I can see

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
If Janet McKenna, other surname Casey, was 78 when she died in 1992, she would have been born in 1913/1914.

There is no birth of a Janet Casey in 1913/1914, but there is a Janet McKenna, born in Camlachie in 1914.

A Janet McKenna married Joseph Casey in Blythswood in 1948.

So I think this death is unlikely to be the right one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I first thought of the valuation rolls but the most recent year available seems to be 1935. Is there anywhere else I can look?
1935 is the latest year available online. Later ones are easy enough to find - there are copies in the Mitchell Library, the National Library of Scotland, and the National Records of Scotland. There may be other libraries who also hold copies.

In fact the Registers of Electors would be a better option, because the VRs only list the head of the household, while the VRs list all electors, which from the 1930s means all adults (assuming they filled in the necessary forms) so you would get both Mr McKenna's given name and Mrs McKenna's given name. These too are available in printed form in the same places.

The snag is that to look at them you need to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh, or get someone else to go and look on your behalf.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
The article mentions that he leaves four of a family and that two are still at school. The other two non school age children must be Susannah and Catherine and you have the names of their husbands. Is it possible they are referring to Susannah Keenan ( quite close to McKenna) and the name has been wrongly reported?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Susan Keenan is listed at 62 Neptune Street in the 1937 Voters Roll (Ancestry).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel,

That solves it then, must have actually been Susannah. Seems pretty obvious now that you've pointed it out (Keenan/McKenna). Hadn't even thought of that  ::) Also, Susan Keenan was the informant on his death certificate.

Although the two non-school age children mentioned aren't Susannah and Catherine. He had three children in Glasgow, all grown up and married by the time of his death, and four children in Dundee aged between 10 and 18 (two in school and two not).

P.S. I see you have McMahons in your tree. I cannot get logged onto Ancestry at the moment to check but I am sure this James Casey is descended from a McMahon (maybe Agnes or Isobel?). I have a feeling it was maybe his maternal grandmother but cannot remember. I will check tonight.