Author Topic: Marriage record for St Margaret's, Walmgate, York - YARDLEY/JENKINS  (Read 802 times)

Offline edinjam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage record for St Margaret's, Walmgate, York - YARDLEY/JENKINS
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, first time on the Yorkshire boards for me. I have found a marriage for my ancestor WILLIAM JENKINS who, from Census records, was born in approximately 1801.  He was married to an ELIZABETH JENKINS and they lived and had their family in and around the Birmingham/Walsall area and were heavily involved in the Saddlery industry.  The only record I have of William Jenkins on the census is in the 1841 one where the family are living in Aston and he has said 'No'  as to 'whether born in same county'. So he wasn't born in Warwickshire but no clue as to where he was born. He is dead by the 1851 Census. I've found a burial for a William Jenkins in 1849 in St Bartholemew's in Birmingham and am going to do some digging around that date

I have found a marriage between a WILLIAM JENKINS and an ELIZABETH YARDLEY that took place on 20 Jun 1831 at ST MARGARET'S, YORK. This was gleaned from familysearch.org.

My question is this. If I were to get access to the parish record itself would it give me any other information such as the names of both sets of parents? I'm confused as to how the York connection has come about (if, indeed, this is my ancestor's marriage). William's occupation was that of a railway porter and the family mythology was that he hailed from Wales which may be the case.

ELIZABETH YARDLEY definitely hails from Birmingham.

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage record for St Margaret's, Walmgate, York - YARDLEY/JENKINS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage record (parish register of St Margarets) is available on FindMyPast. But there is no additional information to be had I'm afraid

Married by Banns
He signed the register, she left her mark
Witnesses: Wm. Johnson & Peter Gar ?   - the rest of the image is faded, but the Bishops Transcript of the marriage reveals the surname to be Gibson.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
H107/1148 bk 5 f29 p8.

William 40 Porter
Elizabeth 31
John 11
Lucinda 9
Mary 4
Thomas 1
All born in County except William

JENKINS, THOMAS       mmn YARDLEY 
GRO Reference: 1840  J Quarter in ASTON UNION  Volume 16  Page 168

Just posted so we can see how you got to the Elizabeth Yardley marriage  ;)   

Does Thomas's birth confirm that his father was working on the railways

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline edinjam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, rosie99, I ordered up the certificate for Thomas and he is down as a Porter on this. I also had some help about 10 years ago with someone who looked up christenings and burials in St Martins in Birmingham. The occupation is consistently that of a Porter and they are living in the Deritend/Digbeth area of Birmingham city centre.

Thanks claire for having a look at FindmyPast. Sad that there aren't any more clues to be had from this marriage record. Nevermind.

I have just sent off for a death certificate for a WILLIAM JENKINS from 1849 who was living at Great Colmore Street. The age fits and this would have been after the birth of their last child and before Elizabeth became a widow on the 1851 census. I'm not sure whether this will give any other information of use but thought it worth a last punt!

Thanks, as always, to the helpful Rootschat community :)