Author Topic: BELL families in Fermanagh  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BELL families in Fermanagh
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about this family who were in and near Irvinestown.   DNA matching has put me in touch with other researchers whose paper trail, like mine, goes back to BELL families in Fermanagh. 

My particular family is that of John BELL (born approx 1819) who married Rosannah LINDSAY (born approx 1817).  John's parents were possibly Walter BELL who married Mary KELLY.  Rosannah's parents were possibly William LINDSAY and Elizabeth BOHONNAN of Cleenish.  John and Rosannah immigrated in 1841.

One of the other researchers has the family of Jeremiah BELL (born Irvinestown about 1843) who married Mary Ann KENNEDY of Dunbulkin.  Jeremiah and Mary Ann immigrated in 1873.

The DNA match suggests that John and Jeremiah might be cousins and I am trying to find the paperwork to link the families. 

Very happy to communicate with other BELL researchers and particularly interested in the DNA side of things. 

Jennifer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BELL families in Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Jeremiah Bell (son of Walter Bell) married 15 July 1871 to Mary Kennedy (daughter of William Kennedy)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11352/8167333.pdf

... and a son born in Ireland-
Walter William Arthur Bell born 19 May 1872
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03248/2190351.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
That is excellent, thank you.  We knew about the existence of that son (and the others which followed over the next 20 years!) from the immigration record but did not have a date for his birth.  Details like this will help me and the other researchers start to join the dots. There was a pattern of names which seems to have cascaded down the generations from both John and Jeremiah and we are hoping those naming patterns will help us work out the preceding generations and hopefully confirm the family relationship.   I'll check out those links now.  Jennifer

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
GEORGE ARMSTRONG has transcribed the Church Records so Births precede Civil Registration

e.g.

Birth 4/4/1848        Bapt  25/2/1849     Elizabeth  to Walter  BELL    Margaret JOHNSTON 

7/3/1846           15/3/1846     Sarah     Walter BELL   Margaret   JOHNSTON 

May be others...  http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/irvinestown-baps.htm
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I emailed my correspondent (descended from Jeremiah), sent her the links and screenshots of the entries and she was very excited!  I'll check out the new links, thank you.  Jennifer