Author Topic: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?  (Read 26722 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Just had an email from a cousin

who has an Ancestry tree and has (so he tells me) done his DNA etc...

Now our relationship is that his Great grandmother is My Great grandmother 's  sister.

AND yet Ancestry says we are NOT a match.....

what a waste of money ...

So now -- do I have to investigate what my Great Gran got up to!  or what his Gt. Gran got up to.. does this mean that my Gran was not the daughter of my .................and on and on and on... for ever.  Not playing this game anymore..

Going back to the old fashioned way pre DNA

end of (that's a term my grandchildren use.. and it fits... :) :) :) )))

xin

Well there could be a whole host of reasons for this.

1. The two of you are not related despite what the paper records show as there was some extra marital event somewhere along the line that breaks any link that was there
2. The amount of DNA either of you have inherited from the GG Grandparents (6.25% X 2) you supposedly have in common is small, add to that what you inherit is at random and so the two of you could have inherited quite different parts of the genes and this is why Ancestry is not picking it up
3. What ever confidence levels Ancestry is using is above what the two of you have in common so although Ancestry says you are not related that only means at the levels they tested
4. Ancestry made a mistake - it happens
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David, you are right and I am an impatient .. miserable .. old.. wotever.. ha ha

We are working it out and it does seem it may well be  a double relationship issue... naughty g.ggrandad..

So hope Ancestry forgives my moans... I should be shot.

xin

whats that saying

soon to blame.... etc

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 27 April 18 06:58 BST (UK) »
Autosomal DNA can be lost very quickly.

Let’s call the 50% of DNA a person inherits from their father an Apple and the 50% of DNA they inherit from their mother a Banana.  They marry someone with 50% of DNA, which we will call a Cherry and 50% of DNA, which we will call a Date.  The first child inherits the Apple and the Cherry.  The second child inherits the Banana and the Date.

No match.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
Xin, Have either of you uploaded to Gedmatch or anywhere else where you can confirm whether you do share any DNA at all?

According to ISOGG, ancestry picks up 98% of 3rd cousins, you could be in the unlucky 2%, though perhaps unlikely.
https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

If you are sure that you are not related, then one of you has an incorrect tree, and no amount of basic paper research will correct it, unless you investigate it further.  If you are descended from one of great grandads 'illicit relationships' (for want of a better term), then some of your tree will be based on a lie.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
Autosomal DNA can be lost very quickly.

Let’s call the 50% of DNA a person inherits from their father an Apple and the 50% of DNA they inherit from their mother a Banana.  They marry someone with 50% of DNA, which we will call a Cherry and 50% of DNA, which we will call a Date.  The first child inherits the Apple and the Cherry.  The second child inherits the Banana and the Date.

No match.

I see your point, but the likelihood of that happening is practically zero.  Again, according to ISOGG, probability of no detectable DNA starts at 2nd cousin once removed stage (0.1%).

https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 27 April 18 08:06 BST (UK) »

Margaret,

I agree.  I was merely illustrating what "could" occur.

Tina.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 27 April 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
 :D

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 27 April 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
I must be a knickerbocker glory then :) :)

I have uploaded to my heritage... will check that out --

I am sure we will sort it over the next few ....aaarggh.... days

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Saturday 05 May 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Just had my DNA results  from Ancestry. Not a lot of surprises as to ethnicity:

Ethnicity Estimate
Ireland/Scotland/Wales
64%
Europe West
15%
Scandinavia
14%
Great Britain
5%
Wales & the West Midlands
Northern England & the Midlands
Low Confidence Regions
Europe South
<1%
Finland/Northwest Russia
<1%

And, what a surprise, it lists my great/grand nephew as my nearest relative- high confidence  ;D ;D ;D Also a 3rd/4th cousin who helped me when I started all this and sadly died in NJ a while ago.

Not sure what to do now - do I go through the list and make contacts  ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***