Author Topic: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?  (Read 26574 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: How satisfied are you with your DNA test experience?
« Reply #108 on: Monday 16 April 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
It has just come to me....

I do not want to know .... these 8th cousins 6 times removed... NOOOO  I didn't do my DNA for the chance of meeting them...

they are driving me crazy with their - lack of ..... trees... faces..... responses..... etc.. why did they do the DNA  why.

I just hoped to connect with a caring FH researcher ... close.... ish cousin, that could lead me to my direct line kin.... and help me to tidy up my loose ends.

I have decided and it is a real thought....

I am going to become an American TV star .... just long enough  -- for them to do my WDYTYA programme... then I shall retire... so there..

sorry ... this is my way of screaming at the lack of response from these ....'matches'

xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
It has just come to me....

I have decided and it is a real thought....

I am going to become an American TV star .... just long enough  -- for them to do my WDYTYA programme... then I shall retire... so there..

sorry ... this is my way of screaming at the lack of response from these ....'matches'

xin

What a cunning plan Xin! Can I be your co-star?!!  ;D

I completely sympathise with what you say about no trees/no responses/no manners. I find most of my no tree matches are Americans! Sweeping statement but I suppose they probably would be more interested in their ethnicity than their family history. Having said that, its surprising how many of them who actually do have trees seem to have stopped before they had to delve into the hard bit - their origins. And don't even get me started on those apparently with a tree who, when you investigate further, have either 3 names - all private - or 303 names, none with any placenames.  >:(

I can hand-on-heart say that not one of my matches has actually started the communication ball rolling - its all been down to me and my stubborness! I can stubborn for England so they might run but they cannot hide!!!

Equally, I will say that once the contact has been made, progress often follows - sometimes in leaps and bounds, sometimes its fairy steps!

It does worry me for the future of the Western World, though - everyone these days seems to want everythnig handed to them on a plate. If not, they give up.

Oh dear, rant over!!  :-X

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
I have read here a lot of comments from people saying that they try to contact DNA matches and get no response. One suggestion for this would be the fashion for giving a DNA test as a present to somebody. Quite often that person might not have any interest in their family history. If somebody gave me money as a present I would be very grateful and exploited fully but at least one of my siblings would have no interest whatsoever.

Martin

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
I bought tests for myself and my son.  He is not interested and is under strict instructions to forward any contact straight to me.  I'll be interested to see how our matches coincide.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
I have read here a lot of comments from people saying that they try to contact DNA matches and get no response. One suggestion for this would be the fashion for giving a DNA test as a present to somebody. Quite often that person might not have any interest in their family history. If somebody gave me money as a present I would be very grateful and exploited fully but at least one of my siblings would have no interest whatsoever.

Martin

All of which is true. However, it might save us and any possible contactees time and effort if Ancestry gave a tick box beside each DNA match with an option to indicate whether someone wanted to be contacted - or not. They could change their preferences at any point in the future if they developed an interest in their own genealogy.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Yes we need TICK boxes
or something to say 'viewed'  sorted or not useless or not.. riduculous or not..

I have found some that are a 1 segment match ... with 2 people in the tree and no other info given or offered.

Why bother .

What upsets me now though.

I have to switch it off --- because the way my mind works nowadays, I cannot do both.
AND as I have said before, my true research is becoming a pickle and confusing me. :( 

for goodness sake.

I am glad at what it has proven  'YES'  -   
Then look at the people it is making me wonder about :( 

sad - that I cannot prove any closer or in any way that JRP is FRP's daddy :(  di nada to go by. 

I think I have to accept - that my Patrick line finishes with FRED
Anyone need to buy any research on Leicester Patricks... I have ooodles :( :( and loads and loads of certs and details.. but seemingly now not mine..

::) ::) ::) >:( >:( :-X :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Will continue to persue it.. but as of yet.. not one Raven or Patrick ............... contact :(

xin

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't think a tick box would stop contact.  If someone had ticked no contact but they appeared to by a very close match to you do you think you would just respect the tick - or try and find out more.

If it was going to work it would need Ancestry to block their email address - and then wouldn't that be frustrating!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 19 April 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
The level of satisfaction probably depends on your original expectations.  I'm not interested in the ethnicity side - it's the genealogy that interests me.

I'm very satisfied, even though the original query/puzzle hasn't been solved yet.  But in time I'm sure it will.  Sure, there's people that don't reply, but every now and then I receive a reply to a message I sent months earlier. 

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 20 April 18 07:20 BST (UK) »
I bought tests for myself and my son.  He is not interested and is under strict instructions to forward any contact straight to me.  I'll be interested to see how our matches coincide.

If he really has no interest whatsoever, why don't you manage his DNA​? Let him know if anything relevant to his life today turns up, otherwise you take full control, and he doesn't​ get bothered by any unwanted contacts.

Works well for me - I manage my husband's results, occasionally tell him snippets, but he gets lost as he has no idea who I am talking about.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go