Author Topic: Alethea/Alethia Skinner  (Read 1093 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alethea/Alethia Skinner
« on: Wednesday 14 March 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to do a look up in Great Farringdon or the parishes near there for the following:

Alethea Skinner - probably between 1690 and 1710. Her first name might be spelt Alethia or Alithia too.

All I know about Alethea is that she married "John" Keen in Great Farringdon in 1729.

Alternatively if there are any other Skinners christened or married in that parish it would be good to know too.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and help

Matthew

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alethea/Alethia Skinner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
There's a Sarum marriage licence record
27 October 1729
John Keen of Swindon, Barber
+
Alathea Skinner of Chiseldon, Spinster

To be married at Chiseldon
Other bondsman noted is William Couling of Cricklade

A baptism later in Chiseldon, 1742, of another Alathea Skinner, parents Edward and Martha. Possibly might be a relative?
And also earlier baptisms there to an Edward Skinner, first indexed is in 1709 (mother Mary?)

How then they came to be married in Great Faringdon I don't know! Is "John" one of your Sylvesters?
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Edward Skinner married Mary Green, 26 November 1696, Great Faringdon
Could they have ended up in Chiseldon?

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
There's a Sarum marriage licence record
27 October 1729
John Keen of Swindon, Barber
+
Alathea Skinner of Chiseldon, Spinster

To be married at Chiseldon
Other bondsman noted is William Couling of Cricklade

A baptism later in Chiseldon, 1742, of another Alathea Skinner, parents Edward and Martha. Possibly might be a relative?
And also earlier baptisms there to an Edward Skinner, first indexed is in 1709 (mother Mary?)

How then they came to be married in Great Faringdon I don't know! Is "John" one of your Sylvesters?
John

Hi John

Yes that is them. Many thanks for the info.

"John" (alias Sylvester)  was christened in Hankerton in 1702. He was the son of John Keene and Mary Wayt.

Although he's recorded on the licence as "John" he appears to be recorded in other records as Sylvester. All of the couple's children were christened in Chiseldon (which makes sense) and he is called Sylvester on all those records.

His grandfather was Silvester Keen born c1650 and his own first son was named John.

I have found a number of other records relating to him including a case in chancery and I have wondered if he changed his name.

The marriage date I have is 28 Oct 1729 at Great Farringdon. This is on familysearch but I haven't checked the original.

Everything you've said fits with what I know so I should have something to look into now.

Any idea when Alathea was born? She might be a sister of the Edward you mentioned.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
Baptism wise, I haven't seen anything in either Berkshire or Wiltshire.
If she might be Widow Keene, buried 11 January 1797, Chiseldon, age 91 years it gives a birth year around 1705.
Edward Skinner buried there in 1787, age 80. So he would be a couple of years younger.
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
Baptism wise, I haven't seen anything in either Berkshire or Wiltshire.
If she might be Widow Keene, buried 11 January 1797, Chiseldon, age 91 years it gives a birth year around 1705.
Edward Skinner buried there in 1787, age 80. So he would be a couple of years younger.
John

Hi John

I've not seen any sign of a christening for Alathea myself either. Her first name is quite distinctive so you'd  think she would be easy to trace.

The Edward Skinner who married Mary might be a brother of my Alathea, and therefore the Alathea who was christened in 1742 might be a niece of my Alathea.

Matt