Author Topic: SPENCER of Selby and Scarborough WILL Summaries and Notes  (Read 1164 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
SPENCER of Selby and Scarborough WILL Summaries and Notes
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Very Summary Notes of the Will of John Spencer of Selby, January 1810
(Taken from the Register, rather than the original Will bundle, so also liable to previous copyist errors too)

... John Spencer of Selby Gentleman ...
... brother Joseph Spencer ...
My Farm at Thorp Willoughby in the Parish of Brayton ... in the occupation of John Robinson as Tenant ... during the life of Joseph Spencer ...
... I also give and bequeath unto my relation Mary WEBSTER who lives with me twenty pounds a year ...
... I also give and bequeath unto the three daughters of my late brother Joseph SPENCER Mary Ann and Sarah One hundred pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the three children of my late sister Elisabeth COLLET John Sarah and Mary Fifty pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the three children of my late sister Sarah DEPLEDGE Fifty pounds each and I also give and bequeath unto the two children of my late sister Franscois ENGLAND and WARD Fifty pounds each I also give and bequeath unto the six children of my late sister Henrietta RISHWORTH Fifty pounds each I also give to William RABY of Manchester Merchant and Elizabeth his Wife Ten pounds each to buy morning and rings with.
Lastly I give and devise and bequeath unto my Nephew John SPENCER of Conisbrough Parks County of York his heirs executors and assigns forever he paying my just debts legacies and funeral expenses and chargeable with the annuities as above all my real and personal estate at Selby and my Freehold and Copyhold estates at Thorp Willoughby in the Parish of Brayton and County of York (having put a Surrender into the Court at Thorpwillowhby to the use of my Will) with my Leasehold estate at Selby so long as John HALLIDAY and Robt HALLIDAY lives or the longer liver of them Also the money with the interest I advance under the Drainage Act of Parliament for the Mill Dam with all my shares and dividends in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal ...
... Nephew John SPENCER Sole Executor ... Seal 12th Day of April 1808 in the presence of Edw'd Taylor - Thos Castell Jeremiah Shaw. pas. 18th January 1810

-----------

Selby Parish Transcriptions

8th December 1796, Jane SPENCER, Widow, Selby, buried. Jane was the Daughter of Thos WEBSTER, Woolcomber. Died aged 74 of Decay of Nature & buried in the body of the church.

31st March 1800, Mary SPENCER, Wife of John SPENCER, Selby, Grocer. Died of Dropsy aged 67 & buried in the body of the church.

28th November 1809 John SPENCER, Selby, Gentleman, Died of Decay of Nature, aged 75 & buried in the body of the church.

Some RABY, MIDDLETON Summary Notes, at Selby (of interest to me)

1743 Robt RABY married Jane MIDDLETON.
1777 Christopher OBEE married Mary RABY, ages given, (a Mary OBEE died 1779).
1794 William ARMSTRONG married Margaret RABY (one wit. was Hannah PEARSON).
1794 William RABY married Eliz GARTHWAIT (Wm was of Manchester), Grocer, (one wit. was Jno SPENCER), ages given.

1779 & 1781 RABY baptisms give descent to MIDDLETON.

----------

One Deed Memorial Registration (Reference)

The property of John Spencer of Selby Gentleman at Millgate, Selby, changed hands in 1802/1803 from John Spencer, Gent., to the new owner Thomas Hembrough of Selby, Yeoman, still had John HOOD as occupier. (Registered Wakefield 1803, Vol. EN, page 314, No.423).

[This property occupied by John HOOD & Mr HOOD appears to have been owned by John Turner, prior to John Spencer, Gent., per Selby Land Tax]

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SPENCER of Selby and Scarborough WILL Summaries and Notes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Very Summary Notes Richard SPENCER of Scarborough, April 1785
(Taken from the Register, rather than the original Will bundle, so also liable to previous copyist errors too)

The last Will and Testament of me Richard SPENCER of Scarborough in the County of York Taylor first I constitute and appoint Elijah Winn of Scarborough aforesaid Gentleman Executor in Trust of this my will ...
 ... Grand Daughter Temperence SPENCER ...
 ... Also I give and bequeath unto the several persons herein after named the respective Sums of Money herin after mentioned to be paid ... To the Reverend Samuel BOTTOMLEY five pounds, To my Step-Daughter Jane SMITHSON four pounds To my kinswoman Martha POTCH four pounds and to my kinsman Thomas CLARKSON one pound and all the residue of my personal Estate and Effects ... Upon Trust ...
 ... benefit of my [unreadable] unfortunate Niece Ann SPRUCE ...
 ... I have hereunto set my hand ... the Tenth day of March One Thousand seven hundred and eighty five ...
 ... Witnesses Mm [or Wm?] Mc George - Galf'us  Jas Mc George
pas 7th April 1785.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
James SPENCER of Scarborough, Admin Dickering 3 Jan 1703/4 (Dickering Deanery) MF1177

Only note made was ... Marie SPENCER

Space in notebook, but no note made about who she was.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Richard SPENCER of Scarborough, Mariner, Dec 1746, Admin. (Dickering Deanery)

SPENCER
The Sixth day of the month of December in the year of our Lord afores'd Admon of the goods & c" of Richard SPENCER Mariner late of the parish of Scarborough in the Diocese of York Dec'ed Intestate (as it is asserted) was granted to Robert SPENCER his Son (Ann SPENCER the Widow & Relict of the said dec~ed having first renounced her Right to the admon thereof) being first sworn & before the Rever'd Theophilus Garencieses clerk surrogate & [?] (saving any other persons Rights An Inven~ry was ex'ted under 20£ Bond Entred. Inventory

Seems an Inventory was exhibited, but not listed in this Register.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
Very Summary Notes Richard SPENCER of Scarborough, April 1785

The last Will and Testament of me Richard SPENCER of Scarborough in the County of York Taylor first I constitute and appoint Elijah Winn of Scarborough aforesaid Gentleman Executor in Trust of this my will ...
 ... Grand Daughter Temperence SPENCER ...
 ... Also I give and bequeath unto the several persons herein after named the respective Sums of Money herin after mentioned to be paid ... To the Reverend Samuel BOTTOMLEY five pounds, To my Step-Daughter Jane SMITHSON four pounds To my kinswoman Martha POTCH four pounds and to my kinsman Thomas CLARKSON one pound and all the residue of my personal Estate and Effects ... Upon Trust ...
 ... benefit of my [unreadable] unfortunate Niece Ann SPRUCE ...
 ... I have hereunto set my hand ... the Tenth day of March One Thousand seven hundred and eighty five ...
 ... Witnesses Mm [or Wm?] Mc George - Galf'us  Jas Mc George
pas 7th April 1785.

Leeds Intelligencer, 12th April 1785
A few days ago died at Scarbrough, aged 100 years and five months, Richard Spencer, who enjoyed all his faculties to the last; and, ... for the text of his funeral sermon, which at his request was preached the Friday after his death by the Rev. Mr. Bottomley, at his chapel, where the body of the deceased was at the same time interred.

The Burial Register online says Richard Spencer, 100 was a Presbyterian burial.

Mark