Author Topic: Grandfather  (Read 512 times)

Offline gw0pzugw4raf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfather
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any traces of my grandfather Michael Ward, born in Ireland and was a builder in Tollcross between 1900 and 1925, reputed to have had contract at Clyde Iron Works regarding re-lining of the ovens

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

What sort of information are you looking for? If you want to trace him, or his family, in Ireland you'll need to give us an idea of when he was born.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

Maybe you can start with searching the Irish census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »

Maybe you can start with searching the Irish 1901 and 1911 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

More likely to have been in Scotland? Scotland's People will have 1911 and 1901 census recods (some pay sites also have 1901 but not 1911)
Looking for any traces of my grandfather Michael Ward, born in Ireland and was a builder in Tollcross between 1900 and 1925, reputed to have had contract at Clyde Iron Works regarding re-lining of the ovens
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
a quick potter onto Ancestry gave me 3 possibilities plus a further less likely one on the 1901 census, but nothing on 1911. This was making some fairly wild assumptions. You need to give more information for anyone to turn up something useful.
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »

Maybe you can start with searching the Irish 1901 and 1911 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

More likely to have been in Scotland? Scotland's People will have 1911 and 1901 census recods (some pay sites also have 1901 but not 1911)

Which is exactly why I immediately removed the 1901/1911 and there are some remnants of 1821/31/41/51 census and 333 Micheal Wards in the 1911 Irish census worth checking if not in Scotland... but of course maybe also worth looking at in England
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend