Author Topic: Calderdale burials - Jonathan Collinge 1966  (Read 2384 times)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Calderdale burials - Jonathan Collinge 1966
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 March 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If he died as a pauper he would have had a basic funeral which would have been at the nearest crematorium, local cemetery or in a family plot if they had one. I would also look in the local papers for an obituary that sometimes gave the funeral details.

A longshot, if the home is still in existence you could write to them to see if they have any records?

John

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure that he did die a pauper and in any event his son (my grandad) would sorted his funeral.

Unfortunately the home is no longer in existence. I bet somebody somewhere has some records from it though so that might be a thread to pull at.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Calderdale burials - Jonathan Collinge 1966
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 March 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
For local newspaper holdings, have a look at this page:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lsl/

It looks as though there are local papers in both Todmorden and Hebden Bridge, with copies in the respective libraries. Halifax Central Library appears to have both. Library staff are able to carry out a limited amount of research for free before fees kick in - see

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lsm/

(Short links created with RootsChat's own tool, and go to library pages on the Calderdale Council website.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk