Author Topic: Tunbridge Wells branch of the Womens International League of Peace and Freedom  (Read 10682 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

I would appreciate any information you can find for two women who attended a meeting in Tunbridge Wells in the 1930's of the aforementioned organization.  The invitation for the meeting was by Mrs E.H. Marsh with the meeting held apparently at her home at 10 Culverden Park Road Tunbridge Wells. Also mentioned in this invitation was the second woman of interest to me namely Miss Emily Fearon Jones of 17 Frant Road,Tunbridge  Wells.

I have no more information than above for Mrs E.H. Marsh except there is a Marsh reported to have died at 10 Calverley Park Gardens  sometime between 1931 and 1939.

For  Miss Jones I have from the National Archives that Miss Emily Fearon Jones purchased 'Woodland Prospect' 17 Frant Road August 31,1923. I also have a reference in the Kent & Sussex Courier of June 20,1947 of solicitors of the deceased Emily Fearon Jones late of 17 Frant Road. Also have from the Courier of March 20,1936 a reference to Miss Emily Fearon Jones of Tunbridge Wells being in a vehicle accident in Tonbridge in which her vehicle apparently overturned and she had to stay in Tonbridge overnight. The Sevenoaks Chronicle of May 30,1947 make a reference to a Miss Emily Fearon Jones of 17 Half Moon Lane.

Today 10 Culverden Park Road is a seniors care home called 'Cedar Court"

This is all I have been able to find. Can someone find out more about the two women (birth, marriage, death, census etc). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tunbridge Wells branch of the Womens International League of Peace and Freedom
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Miss Emily Fearon Jones of 17 Frant Road, Tunbridge Wells died 1 December 1946.

Effects - £59310 13s 10d

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tunbridge Wells branch of the Womens International League of Peace and Freedom
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Birth -

Emily Fearon Jones
q1 1867 Ticehurst, Sussex
Vol 2b Page 96

JJ

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
JJen beat me to it but Emily Fearon Jones was born 7 January 1868 and she bought the house in Frant Road  31 August 1923 according to the National Archives

Emily M Marsh died Jun 1936 Tonbridge 2a 1160 aged 70 (yob 1866)

10 Calverley Park Gardens in 1939 looks like some sort of home, either nursing or mother and baby. Two of the  occupants are nurses as well as midwives, lots of domesticstaff as well. The address actually lumps numbers 10 and 12 together as though they are all one place.

Can't find a Culverdon Park Road in 1939.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I think you can disregard the Emily M Marsh death as I have just found an Emily Maria Marsh born 1866 in Tunbridge Wells in 1911 and she is a spinster .

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
By doing a free address search on the 1939 for 10 Culverden Park Road, Tunbridge Wells -

Edward H   Marsh b. 1884
Henrietta S Marsh b. 1900 and 2 more people are on this record
5 more people who are officially closed

Perhaps Edward was a relative of Mrs E M Marsh.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Could Mrs E H Marsh actually be Mrs Edward H Marsh (married ladies should be referred to by their husbands name). This would tie in with the names on the above 1939?

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Kent & Sussex Courier 12 October 1928

A report for the meeting of Women's International League of Peace and Freedom records Miss E F Jones as Hon. Secretary.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Death record -

Henriette Stephanie Marsh
Birth Date - 16 Mar 1900
Registration Date - Mar 1981
Registration district - Tunbridge Wells
Vol 16 Page 2341

Henriette of 10 Culverden Park Road, Tunbridge Wells died 20 Jan 1981.
Effects - £14417

Edward Harold of 10 Culverden Park Road, Tunbridge Wells died 22 Sep 1946.
Effects - £15742 18s 5d

JJ