Author Topic: Withoff's in Crewe - Gravestone  (Read 3886 times)

Offline otisitaly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Withoff's in Crewe - Gravestone
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:57 GMT (UK) »
PS:   There was an earlier question above asking where William Henry Withoff is buried?  I have a letter from one of his grand children stating that William is buried st Flayback Hill Cemetery in Birkenhead.  Katherine is buried st Crewe.  Otis

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 February 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
On the Cheshire resources page, Wirral Cemeteries there is a link to Flaybrick Cemetery records.  You can view the images, its on Family search.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:58 GMT (UK) »
My records show that William Henry Withoff (b.1838 Prussia, d.1879 Birkenhead) and Katherine Sophia Wendel had 6 children: Frederick, Charles Henry, Emmie, Pauline, Annie, and Catherine.  I am decendeded from Charles who immegrated to Galveston Texas USA.  I have all the records for Charles and his descendent sin Texas, but have very little info or artifacts about his parents.  Do you have any details about William Henry Withoff and Katherine Sophia Wendel?     If so, I would be interested in collecting any artifacts.   Thanks for your time.   Otis

That is great information.

I was researching the family for a friend, who has since moved away. Next time I talk to her about genealogy I will pass on your interest in making contact.

Offline otisitaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 February 19 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!!!

Offline Bob12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m currently sorting through odd items I have kept over the years. I have absolutely no idea where I got it from but I have a metal tag “J Withoff Butcher Crewe” I’ve attached an image. I wonder if it was attached to an animal? Perhaps a dog for catching rats?
Perhaps an animal bought from the market? I’ve been a vegan for 28 years so not really a fan of Butchers but still this is an interesting item. Quite faint but hopefully you will be able to read it. I realise this is an old post, hopefully it finds its way to you.

Offline Cartronix

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 August 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
I am the owner of Adelaide House and whilst looking for some history of the house I found this information. Adelaide House was built between 1876 and 1877.
The Adelaide from which the street and house take their name comes from the daughter of Dr. Lord and his wife, who was the daughter of John Ashe, first vicar of St Pauls. Ashe bought the land on which the street and house now stand, it was previously allotments and gave it the name after his granddaughter.
Home to the Withoffs in 1911. Frederick William Withoff was a butcher, running his own business, and also a councillor in the Crewe Corporation (1910). The census shows the building having 7 rooms. Fred described himself on the 1911 census as a "gut dresser" and is recorded in the 1910 Kelly's trade directory as a "sausage skin dealer". This is on Broad Street I believe (St Michaels View?).

Offline midlanderwelsh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 September 23 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there
My son has just brought this post to my attention. His father ( we were not married) is called Frederick Withoff. He lived in Devon, my son was born in 1980, but he originated from the North West of England. He is still alive, but not residing in Devon. He has another son and daughter from his marriage, I think.