Author Topic: James Leslie Minion Rankin  (Read 5217 times)

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Leslie Minion Rankin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
You're very efficient with all of this, fantastic! I have most of that but thank you again. I was thinking of applying for a record search in the Canadian public records but since I'm not sure when James died that may be pointless. So, any help the obituary expert can provide would be great.

Thanks.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Many entries for James Rankin in Canada Voters Lists - Toronto - none to positively identify him as yours - some can be discounted and others don't match the wife's names.  Toronto would have been one of the area's that it would have been possible to find obituaries, other areas can be more difficult.
Nothing appears for the son's name or initials either - perhaps they moved on.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rankpin95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
The most recent record I have of him is a voter list from 1963 and he is registered in Spadina, which I know is in Toronto. He may have died in the city or he and his wife maybe retired somewhere else, I cant be sure.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
1963 - The one on St George Street with a wife Violet (dietician) - James Leslie Rankin (expeditor)
Didn't quite tie the wife, Violet up with the baptism names - Marie Elmire Germaine Lanoue  ???

1965 - Listed alone - Mrs Violet Rankin - no James ?

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The James married to Violet died on Jan 2 1971.  Obit in the Globe and Mail on Jan 4 1971 page 25.

It says that James Leslie (Les) Rankin, member of Canada Lodge No. 532 AF & AM, Beaver Chapter, Geoffrey Preceptory, former member Rameses Shrine, died Jan 2 1971 in Toronto.  J Les Rankin, husband of Violet Best.  Father of J L (male... full name is what you think it is  :) ) and L A (daughter).  No mention of his age or where he is buried.

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RK -

Hmmm...............The wife and children's names  aren't matching the marriage details or passenger list  ??? Didn't mention an age either  :-\    He can't be the son of the first James Leslie, he had a "B" in his name.

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I just rechecked the 1971 obituary.  The son in that one is definitely just J L ... there is no B name.  The daughter is L A ... first name is the female version of her father's middle name. 

I don't see an obit for a Germaine or Jermaine Rankin. 

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
The baptism name was - Marie Elmire Germaine Lanoue  - could she have used the first name perhaps ?  You are a treasure trawling thru those newspapers.

Sandra  ;)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Interesting RK - This looks like the grandparents with the son of James and Germaine  - UK Passenger List Montreal to Liverpool arriving 21 June 1940 - Duchess Of Richmond -  James Rankin aged 69 years (retired) - Rebecca S Rankin aged 72 years and a young 4 year old "B" Rankin - going to "Orion" Morriosn Park, Portrush, County Antrim. Country of intended futire residence was Northern Ireland.

1911 Ireland Census showing James Leslie Minion Rankin with his parents.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Garvagh/Main_Street/591021/

Sandra