Author Topic: James Leslie Minion Rankin  (Read 5218 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Leslie Minion Rankin
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Rankin James of "Danesfort" Garvagh and of "Glenshesk" 10 Portrush Road Coleraine both in county Londonderry retired petty sessions clerk died 13 September 1948 at latter place Probate Belfast 1 December to Rebecca Susan Rankin the widow. Effects £1498 19s. 4d.

Rankin Rebecca Susan of 28 Mark Street Portrush county Antrim widow died 7 September 1953 Probate Belfast 26 October to Thomas Babington Gillis clerk of petty sessions and John Lawson Baxter solicitor. Effects £3310 13s. 3d.
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchResults.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Great information. No mention in either of those entries for the wills, about there son James or grand children -  B J and J A   ???  Is that unusual ?  The son has such an unusual fist name but nothing seems to show in Canadian records that we can see.  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
The two entries are from the Probate Books and since probate was granted there would have been Wills. The actual wills and paperwork will be in the archives in Belfast (PRONI).

If you want to PM me the full names of grandchildren I'll have a look at some local records (I'm only a few miles from Portrush).

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
(RK) - to keep you in the loop)  - pm sent -

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The James married to Violet died on Jan 2 1971.  Obit in the Globe and Mail on Jan 4 1971 page 25.

It says that James Leslie (Les) Rankin, member of Canada Lodge No. 532 AF & AM, Beaver Chapter, Geoffrey Preceptory, former member Rameses Shrine, died Jan 2 1971 in Toronto.  J Les Rankin, husband of Violet Best.  Father of J L (male... full name is what you think it is  :) ) and L A (daughter).  No mention of his age or where he is buried.

RK

Might mean nothing - Violet Rankin - St George Street - Canada Voters List 1963 was described as a dietician - this is also the one which shows James Leslie Rankin (expeditor)  ???

Miss Violet Best (dietitian) appears on Canada Voters Lists at St George Street in 1949. (Spadina District)

Miss Violet Best (dietcian) appears on canada Voters List St Huron Street in 1940 with a Mr Cecil Best (clerk)

Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Not found the 2 grandchildren yet but found a few bits in my files which may be of interest.

15 Dec.1868 St. Guaire's Church of Ireland, Aghadowey, Leslie Rankin, widower, carpenter, Garvagh, son of James Rankin, architect, to Jane Grisham, Ballyquinn [Ballynacally], daughter of Longford Grisham.
A son was born 2 Jan.1873.

Constitution, 23 Jan.1904: Leslie Rankin died at his residence, Garvagh on Sunday aged 97.
Coleraine Chronicle, 22 Sept.1849: Married- At Garvagh, county Derry, on the 8th inst., by the Rev. Mitchell Smyth, Mr. Leslie Rankin, builder, to Margaret, second daughter of James Jack, Esq., Glasgow.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I haven't read it thru but the poster has another thread on Scotland Counties - James Jack

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789907.msg6456931

Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 14 Sept.1948: RANKlN— September 13. 1948 (suddenly), at his residence, 10, Portrush Road, Coleraine, James, beloved husband of Rebecca Rankin, late Garvagh and Coleraine. Funeral to-morrow (Wednesday), at 2 p.m., to St. Paul Churchyard, Garvagh.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Interesting...

I found a birth announcement in the Toronto Star in Oct 1953 for a daughter to Mr and Mrs J. Leslie M. Rankin (nee Violet Best). 

So, that James Leslie has the initial M in his name...

RK