Author Topic: Where are all the bodies buried?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where are all the bodies buried?
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
 Dear anyone who can help me please?

It is not just the Oxfordshire area but out of all the masses of ancestors in my amazing tree I seem only to have found a small number of graves?

The areas in Oxfordshire are the Smiths of Winson, different Smiths of Gt Bourton and the Whartons of Little Milton (spreading into High Wycombe Buckinghamshire)

Thanks in anticipation x
Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the bodies buried?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
A couple of Smiths here https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2366429/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=smith and https://www.wycombe.gov.uk/pages/Community/Cemeteries/High-Wycombe-Cemetery.aspx and it states "The cemetery officer can help you to find a grave. If you wish to conduct a search, please email or telephone us in advance with as much information on names and dates as you can provide."
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Oxfordshire parish burial records (Church of England) are available on Ancestry, and so are the four Oxford City cemeteries in iluleah's link in reply #1.

I can't see a 'Winson' anywhere in Oxfordshire.  What would be the nearest town please?

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Iluleah and Carol, thank you very much for your prompt replies!  I will have a check through the links today.  Winson is Gloucestershire, sorry! It is near Cirencester.  I have been working on Oxfordshire also and confused myself even...  I do have their places of death and have to confess not had a look around the Oxford areas yet but now plan to do some research at beginning of May.  So far, the only graves I have come across are my local church in Llantwit Fardre, in East Glamorgan.  Went to that church all my teens, got married there 47 years ago and didn't realise the huge obelisk outside the church door were my family so looking at wedding photos now, they attended every one bless!  Thanks again both!
Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN