Author Topic: Look up an Armiger?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Look up an Armiger?
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I've recently been looking through the General Armoury on an unrelated topic and came across the Larkins family CoA and Crest. And one of the counties for this family is Cambridgeshire. I have a long line of Larkins in Cambridgeshire starting with my grt grt grandmother.
How would I go about finding who of the Larkins were granted arms?
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Look up an Armiger?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I've recently been looking through the General Armoury on an unrelated topic and came across the Larkins family CoA and Crest. And one of the counties for this family is Cambridgeshire. I have a long line of Larkins in Cambridgeshire starting with my grt grt grandmother.
How would I go about finding who of the Larkins were granted arms?

Hello,

Firstly, work out the main line as far back as you can go with where and when  they were living. Then approach the College of Arms - they have a website. Be aware that it will NOT be cheap.

Secondly, (possibly more importantly), In my experience, if there has been a coat of arms granted to someone in your family, people in your family would know. It is not the kind of thing that gets forgotten about.

Good luck.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a long line of Larkins in Cambridgeshire starting with my grt grt grandmother.

Arms only pass down the male line, so you won't be entitled to use them. :-\

Also, please note that there is no such thing as a "Family Coat-of-Arms". Arms are granted to an individual, and pass to their male heirs.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I already know all of this, but thank you for re-illiterating in case anyone else who comes across this post doesn’t know.
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »
A quick look at the General Armoury suggests that you are referring to the arms of Larkin "Ermine, three leopards faces sable ". Burke does not give an origin for these but reference to the Visitation of Cambridgeshire 1619 shows them as belonging to Thomas Larkin a Doctor of Physic at Cambridge University. The visitation gives Thomas as the son of Thomas Larkin of Frynsbury in Kent. There is no record of a Larkin coat of arms in the visitation of Kent in 1619 and I wonder if the arms were granted to, or assumed by, Thomas Jr on his appointment to Cambridge.

Thomas Jr was predeceased by his son leaving his estate divided between two daughters;  one of whom married into the Amye family thus producing the Larkin-Amye arms shown.

It is possible that there is no grant of Arms as during the Elizabethan and early Stuart periods control by the College of Arms was poor and many of the new merchant, professional and land owning classes simply adopted a Coat of Arms for themselves. It was this that gave rise to the Heralds' Visitations of the early 1600s in an effort to tidy up the situation. If the holder of an unrecognised coat of arms could show that it had been used in their family for a couple of generations or more, that it was not a duplicate of another claimant and that they also appeared to the Herald to be of good standing, the Herald would approve the arms. (I have seen records of visitations where the Herald has refused to register somebody's arms on the grounds that the person was "No Gent".!)

As an aside, I notice that there was a house in Frynsbury known as Larkin House. A Google search might provide more information, if you don't already have it.

I must also observe that the "General Armoury" is a very poor guide to family heraldry as Mr Burke
was somewhat casual about the information he collected. However, in this case, he seems to have got it right !

I hope this is of some help.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that thorough post.
I’ll certainly look at Larkin House.

I don’t tend to use the Armoury too much, only to glance to see if a family is listed here aswell as corroborating Sources.

I’ve found Visitations to be correct in terms of tracing my multiple Gentry ancestors, even better when it corroborates with Wills, Land grants and other sources.