Author Topic: Am I confusing 2 families as one?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Am I confusing 2 families as one?
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I've managed to get myself all confused.

2x Gt Grandfather William Henderson Allison BIRTH 06 DEC 1863 Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Parents
William Henderson Allison
Eliza Allison Nee Peacock

I have found a Marriage for William Allison & Eliza Peacock 21 Aug 1853 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.  Bride's father listed as Walter Peacock Occupation Groom.

Eliza's Death 1899 has her father listed as John Peacock Coachman, no mother listed.

I have found a possible birth record for her in 1836 Elizabeth Peacock - Parents John Peacock Occupation Groom and Ann Robb.

Other than the fathers name on the marriage being different, everything else looks as though they fit.

Then we come to the Census, everything looks great until I work back to 1841  I have 2 households that could be Eliza.

Eliza Peacock Aged 6, Estimated Birth Year 1835 Midlothian, Scotland.  Address is High Street, Parish Dalkeith
Other names in the Household:-   
Walter Peacock   aged 35 Occupation Groom
John Peacock aged 15
Robert Peacock aged 11
Mary Peacock aged 3
Agnes Peacock aged 2

The next one

Elizabeth Peacock aged 4  Estimated Birth Year 1837 Midlothian, Scotland, Address 5 Danbar Street, parish Edinburgh St Cuthberts
Other names in the Household:-   
Ann Peacock aged 25
William Peacock aged 2

I almost ruled this out until I found John
John Peacock aged 30 Estimated birth year 1811 Midlothian, Scotland.  Address Gilmerton House.  Occupation Coachman.

Am I therefore confusing 2 Eliza/Elizabeth Peacocks who both married a William Allison whose parents had same/similar jobs?
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I confusing 2 families as one?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My suspicion is that Walter Peacock was Eliza's father on two counts.The first is that the father's name is more likely to be given correctly on the marriage doc. while with a death cert. the information is only as good as that given by the informant. Secondly just looking at William Henderson Allison's siblings makes me wonder if there is a naming pattern going on.

Re Walter Peacock I think he is the Walter showing as born Haddington in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses. His age varies from census to census but I am sure it is the same man.

In 1851 he is in Corstorphine, born 1804  and a groom. (Although relationships not given in the 1841 census it looks as though he was probably a widower). I think he remarried to Mary Paxton in 1848 in Dalkeith. Daughter Agnes is showing as born Dalkeith in this census.

In 1861 Walter is showing as born 1809, living in Gardners Crescent Edinburgh but is now showing as a coachman. 1871 has him born 1817 and living in Reigo Street and again a coachman.

I think Walter's death is showing in 1875 in St George - age 60!

Looking at surviving OPR births in Dalkeith with a father called Walter I do wonder if his first wife (and therefore perhaps Eliza's mother) was called Agnes Craig - I note that there are OPR's for the marriage of Walter Peacock and Agnes Craig in North Berwick and Haddington in 1826.

Hope this helps and hasn't muddied the waters further!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Just to add-

Eliza Allison(nee Peacock) gives her birthplace as Dalkeith on the 1881 Census.

William , do you mean Walter Peacock ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Ev

Yes! I have modified my post accordingly.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Both

I did originally have Walter Peacock and Agnes Craig down as possible parents, but with their daughter Mary being born 1836 I always had it a a big ?

On Walter's death record he is showing that his wives were Agnes Craig then Mary Paxton.

I think I'll go back to the original line of thought of Walter and Agnes being parents and the birth/baptism of Elizabeth Peacock 1836 was just a red herring  :'( 
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I note that a daughter of William Allison and Eliza Peacock was Agnes Craig Allison b. 1859 Callander Perth.(Familysearch)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes and that was the main reason I thought Walter and Agnes in the first place but the baptism, with correct occupation and that it also matched the name on the death threw me off the scent and had me utterly confused.

Norfolk – Girdlestone
London – Genesis, Biggs

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Church Registers , deaths & burials(SP)-
Aggnes Peacock 35 , parents/ other details Craigie/Walt Peacock , date 16th March 1841 , Dalkeith Midlothian.

ev

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 March 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 he is in Corstorphine, born 1804  and a groom.
The 1851 census does not show him as born in 1804. The UK census never gives a date of birth. It gives the age the person claimed to be on the date of the census.

In this case, the 1851 census says that Walter was 47.

In 1851 the census was taken on 30 March. This means that if any person had not yet had a birthday in 1851, they will be a year older at the end of the year, so these web sites that 'calculate' an age by subtracting the age from the census year will be wrong three times out of four. I wish they wouldn't do this, because they are introducing in their transcriptions a piece of information which is not there in the original, and which is more often wrong than it is right.

Assuming that Walter was indeed 47 on 30 March 1851, he would have been born between 31 March 1803 and 30 March 1804. Not 'in 1804'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.