Author Topic: bryngarn farm  (Read 1452 times)

Offline llangatwg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bryngarn farm
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
My grandparent was born at the above bryngarn farm chapel Nant ddu breconshire. I was wondering please if anyone knows if this farm still exists. Many thanks

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bryngarn farm
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Failed to find bryngarn farm on https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/map which is a wonderful resource found here; nant ddu can be easily found though. Perhaps you are restricting your readership by posting under Welsh language posts and might reach a wider audience by reposting under Wales -counties. Best of luck!

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
There is an interesting history for the Nant Ddu area because at one time it had a sizeable population, but most of them emigrated to America, leaving their farms and cottages to decay.  When you drive past there nowadays, you can still see piles of stones here and there which indicate where a home used to be.  There was also a church beside the river, but this was demolished about twenty years ago because its structure had become unsound.  However the burial ground is still there and is cared for and many descendants from those who emigrated now visit to pay respects to their ancestors.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any mention of Bryngarn Farm on current OS maps; I am wondering whether it might have been one that was destroyed when the reservoirs were created.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk