Author Topic: Parish registers for Farr and Strathy  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Tony Mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish registers for Farr and Strathy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 June 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
the Adam mackay you refer to is my great great grandfathers cousin. he is the son of james Mackay and Christina Gordon (Chirsty). he was born in 1828 and place of birth was Melvick. James and Chirsty farmed at dalvehouse on the Naver river and I believe were evicted during the highland clearances in 1819. You are correct in identifying their other sons Robert and William. Adam and Robert where police men in Edinburgh and in 1855 Adam became chief of police in Dumbarton. My great great grandfather John mackay was closely linked to them and he was born in Dallhorrisgell,next to Dalveghouse. son of Donald Mackay and Isabella mackay he married Roberts daughter Ann mackay. Adam settled in Glasgow both robert and john settled in Dundee working as street porters and living in Tindalls wynd. I have been unable to find details of what happened to James and Christy but I believe they may have stayed in caithness.

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 June 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the reply, but I have since found out that your James Mackay was not the same person who was my James Mackay. Mine was an excise officer and his wife was Janet Sinclair. Cheers.

Offline Kelly MacKay Cannon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 May 19 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am researching my fathers (Donald Joseph MacKay) fathers ( James Martin Luther MacKay) side of the family but can't seem to get past Donald MacKay (Mckay) who was married to Isabella Mackay (born MacDonald). They had a son named William James MacKay who was married to Ann Angus McKay (born Mitchell). We also are related to the Mathesons'. Any assistance here would be great. My husband and I are travelling to Scotland this next week to do some more family research. We will go to the Strathnaver Museum to see if we can find out more. We were some of the  MacKay's that went from Sutherland to West Zorro, Ontario, Canada in the 1800's.
Best regards,

Kelly Ketherin MacKay Cannon

Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general guidance and practice, to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses. New members need to make two or three posts in order to access this system.  Thanks.