Author Topic: Stockport Sunday School Register Entry  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport Sunday School Register Entry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Elzabels. I'm aware of JWO operating as a herbalist in Hyde but not of the two MEN adverts.

"Cale Green Heaton Norris" is a bit of a misnomer as Cale Green and Heaton Norris are totally separate places. Cale Green is a small area to the South of Stockport centre whereas Heaton Norris is/was a large ill-defined area North of the River Mersey. The county boundary between Lancashire and Cheshire runs along the river. St Thomas always causes confusion. St Thomas Heaton Norris (nowadays Heaton Chapel) is the older of two churches. There is also a St Thomas south of Stockport Centre - almost adjoining Cale Green.

If you have an Ancetry Sub. I'd recommend that you have a look at my James Williamson Owen tree which contains most of the info I have on him. It appears that his career started as a hatter - a common occupation in these parts - he then became a herbalist and, a few years later, emigrated to the US and started practising as a doctor - amazing what you could do in those days without apparent recourse to formal education!

Offline Gone.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 March 20 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Just resurrecting a thread!

To Ray:

I don't know if 'home attendance' is still a puzzle.

I was looking at the original - and not transcribed records - for an ancestor who attended SSS. My ancestor too had 'home' attendance against his name ... except I read the phrase as 'none attendance.' Since he had been 'discharged' from the school, I took 'none attendance' as the reason why.  See attached for two examples - one is for my ancestor and the other is a random other.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 March 20 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree this says 'None attendance'.
Are these from within the dates Ray was interested in?
HAs the film now turned up on familysearch?  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Gone.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 March 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor’s entries are for 1847 and 1853.

The records I was looking at on Family Search are for Stockport Sunday School 1825-1859, but it looks as though other year ranges don’t have images available.

In terms of Ray’s years, there is are entries in the 1825-1859 records which have later dates. Attached are two – one from 1860 and another from 1864, both of which use the same phrase of ‘none attendance’ as earlier records.

I don't know how far you got, Ray, with your research on the Owens. You mention in your first post you didn't know what happened to the parents. I wonder if parent James Owen is the person in the attachments below?

Regards

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello all and thanks for resurrecting the thread Ramsin.

I have extracts of the original SSS entries for Mar. 1859, Sep. 1859 and Dec. 1865. Looking at what has been written in the "Remarks" columns, I would go along with your suggestions that the final entry in connection with JWO reads "none attendance". Not only does this make more sense, across the three extracts, there are numerous "non attendances" and some are much clearer than the one against JWO.

Ramsin - I already have the James Owen buried at St Thomas and he seems to be the best fit for JWOs father. I'm working on this hypothesis for now as the original burial entry has his residence as "Adswood Lane" - where JWOs parents were possibly living in 1851 and which is close to Cale Green. The downside to this theory is that the Sept. 1859 SSS entry gives his "Parents Name" as "James" - the other two are "Martha" and "Orphan". I suppose it depends on the question asked - e.g. "What is the name of your father?".

Elzabels also mentioned a connection with Mark Whitehead. I've since researched this connection and my findings can be found here - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/76666049/person/48346250880/media/05b55041-18d2-4920-8486-367b6fc1be91

Any further comments would be most welcome.

Ray